‘It would be a disaster’: Lindsey Graham, Roger Wicker warn over reported 60-day Iran ceasefire deal
WASHINGTON, DC: Two Republican senators, Lindsey Graham and Roger Wicker, publicly raised concerns on Saturday, May 23, over reports of a potential ceasefire agreement with Iran, warning that a temporary truce and renewed negotiations could weaken the United States’ position after months of military conflict.
The criticism came as reports emerged of a possible Pakistan-mediated framework that could formally end hostilities between the United States, Israel, and Iran while reopening the Strait of Hormuz and launching a fresh round of nuclear negotiations.
President Donald Trump said an agreement had been “largely negotiated,” though final details were still being discussed.
Lindsey Graham, Roger Wicker slam proposed Iran ceasefire deal
Senator Roger Wicker, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, warned that a reported 60-day ceasefire arrangement would risk undermining the objectives of the US-Israeli military campaign known as “Operation Epic Fury.”
“The rumored 60-day ceasefire, with the belief that Iran will ever engage in good faith, would be a disaster,” Wicker wrote on X. He added that the military operation’s impact would “be for naught” if the reported deal moved forward in its current form.
The rumored 60-day ceasefire — with the belief that Iran will ever engage in good faith — would be a disaster. Everything accomplished by Operation Epic Fury would be for naught!
— Senator Roger Wicker (@SenatorWicker) May 23, 2026
Senator Lindsey Graham also questioned whether a negotiated settlement could strengthen Iran’s strategic position in the Middle East.
“If a deal is struck to end the Iranian conflict because it is believed that the Strait of Hormuz cannot be protected... and Iran still possesses the capability to destroy major Gulf oil infrastructure, then Iran will be perceived as being a dominate force requiring a diplomatic solution,” Graham wrote on X.
If a deal is struck to end the Iranian conflict because it is believed that the Strait of Hormuz cannot be protected from Iranian terrorism and Iran still possesses the capability to destroy major Gulf oil infrastructure, then Iran will be perceived as being a dominate force…
— Lindsey Graham (@LindseyGrahamSC) May 23, 2026
Trump says Iran agreement has been ‘largely negotiated’
President Donald Trump announced on Saturday, May 23, that negotiations involving the United States, Iran, and regional governments had made major progress.
“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. He added that final details would be “announced shortly.”
Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also criticized reports of the proposed arrangement, arguing on X that the deal sounded similar to policies pursued during the Obama administration.
The deal being floated with Iran seems straight out of the Wendy Sherman-Robert Malley-Ben Rhodes playbook: Pay the IRGC to build a WMD program and terrorize the world.
— Mike Pompeo (@mikepompeo) May 23, 2026
Not remotely America First. It’s straightforward: Open the damned strait. Deny Iran access to money. Take out…
“The deal being floated is ‘Not remotely America First,’” Pompeo wrote, calling instead for Iran to be denied financial access and military capability.
Mike Pompeo has no idea what the fuck he’s talking about. He should shut his stupid mouth and leave the real work to the professionals. He’s not read into anything that’s happening, so how would he know. https://t.co/l9sF8vdv6i
— Steven Cheung (@StevenCheung47) May 23, 2026
White House Communications Director Steven Cheung responded by dismissing Pompeo’s comments, saying the former secretary “has no idea what … he’s talking about” and was “not read into anything that’s happening.”