JD Vance calls Supreme Court ruling blocking Trump tariffs ‘lawlessness’

Vance says the 6-3 decision limits presidential trade powers and makes it harder to shield US jobs and supply chains
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO
Vice President JD Vance reacted on X after the Supreme Court blocked President Donald Trump’s tariff order (Maddie McGarvey-Pool/Getty)
Vice President JD Vance reacted on X after the Supreme Court blocked President Donald Trump’s tariff order (Maddie McGarvey-Pool/Getty)


WASHINGTON, DC: Vice President JD Vance sharply criticized the US Supreme Court after it struck down President Donald Trump's sweeping tariff order. The ruling, issued in a 6-3 decision, curbed the administration’s use of emergency powers to reshape trade policy.

In a post on X, Vance described the judgment as “lawlessness” and argued that it would weaken the president’s ability to protect American industries and secure supply chains. The decision marks a significant setback for Trump’s trade strategy ahead of the 2026 political cycle.

JD Vance slams Supreme Court tariff ruling as ‘lawlessness’

The Supreme Court ruled that the International Emergency Economic Powers Act does not authorize a president to impose broad, sweeping tariffs under emergency powers. The majority opinion effectively blocked Trump’s attempt to rely on the statute to implement global tariff measures.

CANTON, OHIO - JULY 28: U.S. Vice President JD Vance speaks at Metallus, a metal products manufacturer, on July 28, 2025 in Canton, Ohio. Vance is traveling in Ohio to promote what the Trump administration says are the benefits of the
Vice President JD Vance spoke at Metallus in Canton, Ohio, while promoting the Trump administration’s economic agenda (Maddie McGarvey-Pool/Getty Images)

Reacting swiftly, JD Vance accused the Court of overstepping its authority. “Today, the Supreme Court decided that Congress, despite giving the president the ability to ‘regulate imports,’ didn’t actually mean it,” Vance wrote. “This is lawlessness from the Court, plain and simple.”

He argued that the ruling would make it more difficult for the administration to protect domestic manufacturing and maintain supply chain resiliency. Vance maintained that Trump still holds other legal avenues to pursue tariff actions and signaled that the White House would continue advancing its trade agenda.

Trump criticizes high court decision and vows new tariff action

President Donald Trump also expressed strong dissatisfaction with the ruling during a White House press briefing. He called the decision “deeply disappointing” and claimed, without offering evidence, that the Court had been influenced by foreign interests and political pressures.

“It’s my opinion that the Court has been swayed by foreign interests and a political movement that is far smaller than people would ever think,” Trump said. He further suggested that some justices ruled out of fear rather than legal reasoning.



Despite the setback, Trump argued that the decision clarified the boundaries of presidential trade authority. He said his administration would turn to other “methods, practices, statutes, and authorities” that he believes are stronger than the emergency powers now deemed off-limits.

Trump added that these alternative approaches could generate additional government revenue and stabilize economic conditions. The administration has not yet detailed the specific legal tools it plans to use next, but both Trump and Vance made clear that their broader trade priorities remain unchanged. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Omar argues only Congress can authorize military action, warning unilateral moves could drag the US into another conflict
47 minutes ago
Scott Bessent blasted Democrats and media, insisting the Supreme Court did not rule against Donald Trump’s tariffs
1 hour ago
The Florida lawmaker presses the president to back up his explosive claim that foreign actors swayed a key high court ruling
1 hour ago
A 6–3 ruling voids key tariff powers, leaving up to $175B in collected revenue at stake as firms warn of layoffs and stalled growth
2 hours ago
The President bypasses a Supreme Court setback by utilizing Section 122 and launching Section 301 probes to protect American trade interests
8 hours ago
Trump accuses justices of fear, uses 1962 & 1974 trade acts to revive blocked tariffs
8 hours ago
With no roadmap from the Supreme Court, lower courts are set to decide how the collected funds will be handled, setting up complex litigation
9 hours ago
Donald Trump weighs action, warns 'bad things' if Tehran misses 15-day deadline
10 hours ago
'Trump's chaotic and illegal tariff tax made life more expensive and our economy more unstable. Families paid more', Chuck Schumer said
10 hours ago
Donald Trump hits judiciary after tariff loss, teeing up a tense State of the Union
10 hours ago