Jimmy Kimmel in discussions with Disney to bring back late-night show after suspension

Jimmy Kimmel negotiated with Disney and ABC to resume 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' after his show was suspended for comments on Charlie Kirk
PUBLISHED SEP 21, 2025
Jimmy Kimmel was seen arriving at ABC Studios in Los Angeles ahead of negotiations with executives (Getty Images)
Jimmy Kimmel was seen arriving at ABC Studios in Los Angeles ahead of negotiations with executives (Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: On September 20, 2025, reports revealed that Jimmy Kimmel’s team was in negotiations with Disney and ABC executives to bring 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' back to air.

The 57-year-old comedian’s show had been suspended indefinitely after his controversial monologue about conservative activist Charlie Kirk’s death.

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - MARCH 13: Jimmy Kimmel speaks onstage during the 27th Annual Critics Choic
Jimmy Kimmel attended the 27th Annual Critics Choice Awards in Los Angeles earlier this year (Getty Images)

Jimmy Kimmel team pushes for comeback

According to insiders speaking with Vanity Fair, Kimmel’s business and legal representatives were deep in talks with Disney, ABC’s parent company, to find a compromise.

The goal was to resume the show’s 23rd season, which remained in limbo after ABC pulled the plug on Wednesday. Kimmel was reportedly concerned not just about his own career but also about the fate of his Los Angeles crew.

Many staffers were still recovering financially from the 2023 actors’ strike, making a permanent cancellation potentially devastating for the team.



 

Comments that led to suspension

The controversy began Monday, when Kimmel used his opening monologue to criticize what he described as “MAGA spin” over Kirk’s death.

He claimed the alleged shooter Tyler Robinson was a Trump supporter, even though authorities later confirmed Robinson held a leftist ideology.

“We hit some new lows over the weekend with the MAGA gang desperately trying to characterize this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them,” Kimmel said during the broadcast.

His refusal to walk back the remarks left Disney and ABC scrambling to manage the fallout.



 

Past warnings from ABC and political tensions

ABC had reportedly warned Kimmel in the past about steering clear of political attacks, especially those targeting President Donald Trump.

The network had long balanced the ratings appeal of Kimmel’s political humor with concerns that his sharp jabs could alienate viewers. Kimmel admitted in a recent interview with Howie Mandel that ABC executives were often nervous about his comments. “If you want to have a big audience, you don’t want to piss a lot of people off and I was pissing a lot of people off,” he said.

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 05: Jimmy Kimmel is seen on June 05, 2025 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by PG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images)
Jimmy Kimmel was photographed on June 5, 2025, during a taping of his late-night show in Los Angeles (PG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images)

FCC raises red flags over remarks

The fallout reached federal regulators. FCC Chairman Brendan Carr warned Thursday that networks with broadcast licenses, like ABC, have a responsibility to serve the public interest.

Carr said Kimmel “appeared to directly mislead the American public” in his statements about Robinson and Kirk, suggesting ABC could face regulatory scrutiny if the matter escalated.



 

Uncertain future for 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'

For now, the late-night program remained off the air. Whether Disney and ABC would allow Kimmel to return without an apology remained unclear.

The host reportedly rejected multiple calls to issue a public mea culpa, leaving both his future and that of his show hanging in the balance.

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Other tributes from Selma Blair and Alyssa Milano highlighted Eric Dane's humor, warmth, and lasting impact
28 minutes ago
Eric Dane spent his final months advocating for ALS awareness, surrounded by his wife, daughters, and close friends
2 hours ago
Carrie Underwood said she was booed during Hollywood Week, as critics linked the reaction to her singing at President Donald Trump’s 2025 inauguration
22 hours ago
Laura Dern said Ellen DeGeneres’ episode led to bomb threats, lost sponsors, and backlash that cost DeGeneres her show for years
2 days ago
Taylor Swift narrated the journeys of Amber Glenn, Alysa Liu and Isabeau Levito, highlighting their resilience and rise
2 days ago
Hollywood icons share personal stories and praise the late actor’s unmatched range, discipline, and decades-long impact on cinema
2 days ago
Duvall earned 7 Oscar nods, won for 'Tender Mercies,' leaving a lasting film and TV legacy
3 days ago
Gordon Ramsay said infatuation may be clouding judgment, noting that 'love is blind' and that time would ultimately heal the family divide
5 days ago
High-profile supporters including Zoe Saldana, Derek Hough and Steven Spielberg donated thousands, pushing the total past $2 million
5 days ago
The brief exchange unfolded on social media days after Bryan criticized Turning Point USA’s alternative halftime event
5 days ago