Judge halts Trump’s effort to revoke whistleblower lawyer Mark Zaid’s security clearance

Judge Amir Ali said that officials canceled Mark Zaid’s security clearance without due process and failed to conduct a proper national security review
The White House defended Mark Zaid’s clearance revocation as a national interest decision, while Zaid argued that it was retaliatory rather than security-based (Getty Images)
The White House defended Mark Zaid’s clearance revocation as a national interest decision, while Zaid argued that it was retaliatory rather than security-based (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: A federal judge temporarily blocked President Donald Trump’s move to revoke the security clearance of attorney Mark Zaid, ordering that the clearance be restored while the legal challenge proceeds.

US District Judge Amir Ali issued a preliminary injunction on late Tuesday, December 23, concluding that the process used to revoke Zaid’s clearance did not meet procedural standards typically applied in national security cases.

The ruling paused the administration’s actions while the court considered the broader legal arguments raised in Zaid’s lawsuit.

Judge faults government over clearance procedures

(x/@MarkSZaidEsq)
Attorney Mark Zaid, who represented the Ukraine whistleblower, successfully argued that his clearance was stripped without due process (@MarkSZaidEsq/X)

In his written order, Judge Ali said that the government acted without following the customary procedures associated with security clearance determinations.

He wrote that the action against Zaid was carried out by "summarily canceling the attorney’s security clearance without any of the process that is afforded to others."

The judge said that the government did not conduct an individualized national security assessment before revoking the clearance, which Zaid had held for more than 20 years.

Ali also cited evidence presented by Zaid that access to classified information was necessary for him to effectively represent current clients in whistleblower-related cases.

Mark Zaid slams attempts to intimidate



Zaid responded to the ruling by praising the court’s decision and rejecting claims that the revocation was justified on national security grounds.

"I will not be intimidated and look forward to continuing to defend the brave men and women who stand up to the unlawful retaliation of the Trump administration," Zaid said in a statement to CBS News.

He described the injunction as a response to what he characterized as attempts to discourage lawyers from representing clients critical of the government.

Zaid previously represented the whistleblower whose complaint led to Trump’s first impeachment inquiry related to Ukraine.

White House justifies clearance revocation

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - MAY 01: Hillary Clinton speaks onstage during a conversation with Margaret Hoover for
Mark Zaid was allegedly targeted in a broader order that also stripped clearances from top Democrats like Kamala Harris and Hillary Clinton (Dominik Bindl/Getty Images)

Zaid filed the suit in May after Trump revoked his clearance along with those of several prominent political figures.

Those affected included former Vice President Kamala Harris, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and multiple former officials from the Biden administration.

At the time, the White House said that it was "no longer in the national interest" for those individuals to retain access to classified information.

Zaid’s lawsuit argued that the decision was retaliatory rather than based on national security considerations.

Order on hold for potential appeal

WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 1: The E. Barrett Prettyman United States Federal Courthouse on June, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Carter/Getty Images)
Judge Amir Ali has given the Justice Department 21 days to appeal before the order to restore Zaid's clearance takes full effect (Kevin Carter/Getty Images)

Although Judge Ali ordered the government to "immediately and fully restore" Zaid’s security clearance, he placed a 21-day administrative stay on the injunction.

The pause allows the Justice Department time to seek appellate review of the ruling.

If no appeal is filed, the injunction is set to take effect on January 13. Judge Ali also denied a Justice Department motion to dismiss the lawsuit.

The case remains ongoing as the court considers the merits of Zaid’s constitutional and administrative law claims.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'DNC has got to do a lot better if they're going to meet this moment in history', Cory Booker said, calling for reforms to keep Democrats competitive
1 hour ago
Iran’s leader reportedly backs deal to ‘in principle’ dispose of enriched uranium
1 hour ago
'To call Paxton ethically challenged is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer someone with an eating disorder', Thom Tillis told Jake Tapper
2 hours ago
'Now we are talking about a posture where we may accept the nuclear material remaining in Iran? How does that make sense at all?' Thom Tillis asked
2 hours ago
Netanyahu signals pressure on Washington as US–Iran talks move forward
3 hours ago
Trump rejects JCPOA diplomacy, maintains naval pressure, demands strict Iran enrichment limits
3 hours ago
'The deal being floated with Iran seems straight out of the Wendy Sherman-Robert Malley-Ben Rhodes playbook', Pompeo wrote
3 hours ago
Rubio defends Trump’s Iran talks, rejects claims deal would boost nuclear ambitions
4 hours ago
'Do you know how many of my friends have Purple Hearts? Do you know how many of my friends got wounded? Yeah, a lot of them' Platner said
4 hours ago
Trump triggers backlash after posting graphic depicting political opponents in prison imagery
4 hours ago