‘Let them play’: Trump backs Iran’s participation in FIFA World Cup

If both teams finish second in their respective groups, Iran could face the US in the knockout stage in Dallas
Donald Trump said he spoke with FIFA President Gianni Infantino about Iran’s participation in the 2026 World Cup while addressing the press in the Oval Office (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Donald Trump said he spoke with FIFA President Gianni Infantino about Iran’s participation in the 2026 World Cup while addressing the press in the Oval Office (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump has backed Iran’s participation in the upcoming FIFA World Cup, saying “let them play” despite earlier uncertainty following the US and Israel's joint strikes on the country.

Iran’s place in the tournament, set to be hosted in the United States, had come under scrutiny after the February 28 strikes raised concerns over safety and diplomatic tensions. However, global football authorities have maintained that Iran will compete as scheduled.



Trump and Gianni Infantino spoke about Iran's participation 

Speaking about the situation, Trump signaled support for Iran’s inclusion, deferring to FIFA leadership while expressing a relaxed stance.

"Well, if Gianni said it, I’m ok," the POTUS said, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino.

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 07: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks alongside President of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) Gianni Infantino after unveiling the 2025 Club World Cup trophy in the Oval Office at the White House on March 07, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Trump signed an executive order establishing a White House Task Force for the 2026 World Cup. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks alongside President of FIFA Gianni Infantino after unveiling the 2025 Club World Cup trophy in the Oval Office at the White House on March 7, 2025, in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Asked further, he added, “You know what, let them play. Gianni is fantastic, he’s a friend of mine, he talked about it, I said, ‘You do whatever you want. You can have them, you don’t have to have them.'”

Trump also responded to a hypothetical scenario of Iran advancing in the tournament, saying, “If they win, we’ll have to worry about that. I’m going to have to worry about that one.”

FIFA confirms Iran spot

Infantino had earlier reiterated at FIFA’s Congress that Iran would participate in the tournament, emphasizing unity through sport.

“Let me start at the outset by confirming straight away, for those who maybe want to say something else or write something else, that of course Iran will be participating at the FIFA World Cup,” he said.

WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 05: Draw assistant Tom Brady, Draw assistant Shaquille O’Neal, Co-Conductor Samantha Johnson, FIFA Legend Rio Ferdinand, Draw assistant Aaron Judge and Draw assistant Wayne Gretzky stand on stage as Iran is illuminated on the screen during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Official Draw at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on December 05, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Draw assistant Tom Brady, Draw assistant Shaquille O’Neal, Co-Conductor Samantha Johnson, FIFA Legend Rio Ferdinand, Draw assistant Aaron Judge, and Draw assistant Wayne Gretzky stand on stage as Iran is illuminated on the screen during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Official Draw at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on December 5, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

“And of course, Iran will play in the United States of America. The reason for that is simple, because we have to unite. We have to bring people together,” the FIFA president added. 

Iran is scheduled to begin its campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15, with all its group-stage matches set to take place in the US.

If both teams finish second in their respective groups, Iran could face the US in the knockout stage in Dallas, adding further intrigue to an already politically charged backdrop.

Trump had previously raised concerns about Iran’s participation, calling it “inappropriate” in the context of ongoing tensions. His latest remarks, however, suggest a shift toward allowing sporting competition to proceed.

Visa issue at FIFA Congress

Iran was notably the only FIFA member nation not represented by federation officials at the Congress in Vancouver. Reports indicated that while two delegates were granted visas by Canadian authorities, they ultimately did not attend after another member of their group was denied entry.

WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 05: Draw assistant Shaquille O’Neal draws out the card of Iran during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Official Draw at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on December 05, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Jia Haocheng - Pool/Getty Images)
Draw assistant Shaquille O’Neal draws out the card of Iran during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Official Draw at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on December 5, 2025, in Washington, DC (Jia Haocheng - Pool/Getty Images)

Canadian officials said visa applications are assessed individually and reiterated that members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps are inadmissible to the country under current policies.

The 2026 FIFA World Cup, set to be hosted across the US, Canada, and Mexico, is expected to proceed with Iran included, despite the geopolitical tensions surrounding its participation.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Critics have condemned the measure, arguing that it could intimidate people 'trying to shine light on bad behavior'
10 minutes ago
Hunter Biden conceded that Benjamin Netanyahu had sought Jared Kushner's involvement as Maher challenged his criticism of Trump's Middle East envoy
33 minutes ago
Tom Homan cited deportations to 180 countries while responding to Florida Senate candidate Angie Nixon’s concerns over ICE enforcement
1 hour ago
Hunter Biden's comments come after his mother, Jill Biden, said that the family would support him if he ever decided to run for president
1 hour ago
Donald Trump made the claim while campaigning for Darline Graham in South Carolina, offering no details about hospitals allegedly carrying out the procedures
3 hours ago
Michael Wolff said Melania Trump had abandoned the traditional first lady role after making just 38 public appearances through July
7 hours ago
'She sacrificed, she didn't even sleep, she didn't even eat, and she got to one of the highest positions in the country', Amy Robbins said about Harp
8 hours ago
The lawsuit alleged TikTok let children under 13 create accounts without parental consent, collected their data, and failed to honor deletion requests
8 hours ago
In a letter, Natalie Harp told Trump, 'You are all that matters to me', then pushed back on her 'human printer' label
9 hours ago
Rashida Tlaib’s latest financial disclosure lists crypto-linked funds in her retirement accounts as Congress prepares for another digital-assets push
9 hours ago