Rubio dismisses criticism of Iran deal as Trump signals diplomatic breakthrough
WASHINGTON, DC: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Sunday forcefully defended the Trump administration’s emerging agreement with Iran, calling criticism of the potential deal “absurd.”
He insisted President Donald Trump remains firmly committed to preventing Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
Rubio strongly backs Trump’s Iran strategy
Speaking to reporters Rubio pushed back against skeptics within political and foreign policy circles who have questioned whether the administration may be offering too many concessions in exchange for de-escalation.
“The idea that somehow this president, given everything he’s already proven he’s willing to do, is going to somehow agree to a deal that ultimately winds up putting Iran in a stronger position when it comes to nuclear ambitions is absurd,” Rubio said.
His remarks come amid growing debate in Washington over the contours of a tentative US-Iran agreement that Trump has suggested is nearing completion.
Trump hints at major agreement with Tehran
Trump on Saturday announced that a broader agreement between Washington and Tehran had been “largely negotiated,” signaling what could become the most significant diplomatic breakthrough since the war with Iran intensified earlier this year.
The president also indicated the agreement would lead to the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, the strategically vital waterway that has been severely disrupted during the conflict.
The Strait is one of the world’s most important energy shipping lanes, and prolonged instability in the region has contributed to rising oil and gas prices, supply concerns, and global market uncertainty.
A successful agreement restoring commercial navigation through the Strait could ease pressure on energy markets while reducing fears of wider regional escalation.
Rubio urges caution despite optimism
Despite the optimistic tone from the White House, Rubio cautioned that implementation remains the critical test for any agreement.
“I’m always cautious when I say that because you can agree to things on paper, they actually have to be implemented,” Rubio told reporters.
Still, the secretary of state suggested that diplomatic momentum was building and hinted that significant developments could emerge soon.
“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that over the next few hours the world will get some good news, at least with regards to the straits and with regards to a process that can ultimately leave us where the president wants us to be,” he said.
Rubio said the administration’s ultimate objective remains ensuring that the world no longer has to fear an Iranian nuclear weapon.
The developing negotiations arrive at a moment of heightened pressure for both Washington and Tehran.
The prolonged conflict has strained global trade routes, disrupted energy markets, and intensified political divisions in the United States over how aggressively to confront Iran.
While the administration projects confidence, questions remain over Iran’s willingness to accept long-term restrictions and whether critics in both countries could derail the fragile diplomatic process.