Rubio speaks out on Iran nuclear talks as fresh attack fears mount
WASHINGTON, DC: Amid the intense diplomatic efforts to secure a peace deal between the US and Iran following the 10-week war and speculations of fresh military attacks on Iran, Secretary of State Marco Rubio indicated progress on Friday, May 22, in peace talks with Tehran.
Trump recently revealed that the US military was just an hour away from launching fresh attacks on Iran when intervention from Gulf allies led to an abrupt suspension of plans.
Marco Rubio says there is progress in peace talks with Iran
Rubio’s statement came ahead of a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, to discuss what role it could play in helping police the Strait of Hormuz once the war was over.
Marco Rubio cautioned against overstating the developments in the talks, saying there had only been “a little bit of movement” so far, though he described that as a positive sign. He added that discussions between the two sides were still ongoing.
However, despite repeated claims of progress in recent weeks, the negotiations have yet to produce a final deal.
While Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran, he has also indicated to hold off on military action to allow talks to continue.
Marco Rubio floats need for 'plan B' on Hormuz
After a meeting with NATO allies on Friday, Rubio spoke to reporters, saying that the US and its partners must "have a Plan B" if Iran refuses to reopen the Strait of Hormuz.
"We all would love to see an agreement with Iran in which the straits are open, and they abandon their nuclear ambitions and so forth, their nuclear weapons ambitions. That's what we would all hope for. And that's what we're going to continue to work on, and that's what work is ongoing, even as I speak to you now in that regard," Rubio said.
SECRETARY RUBIO: We would all love to see an agreement with Iran, in which the Straits are open and they abandon their nuclear ambitions.
— Department of State (@StateDept) May 22, 2026
But we also have to have a plan B. What if Iran refuses to open the Straits? At that point, something has to be done about it. pic.twitter.com/UyheAl3XTn
"But, we also have to have a Plan B, and Plan B is — what if Iran refuses to open the straits? What if Iran decides, 'We refuse to open the straits, we're going to own the straits, and we're going to charge tolls for it?' Okay, at that point, something has to be done about it," he added.
He said he'd "raised that point today" and "got a lot of nods" from other NATO foreign ministers.