Trump says nuclear strike was halted one hour before launch after Gulf intervention

Trump says US military was ‘all set to go’ as he sets deadline for Iran nuclear surrender talks
President Donald Trump tours ballroom construction outside the White House on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
President Donald Trump tours ballroom construction outside the White House on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald J Trump dropped a massive national security bombshell from the White House on Tuesday, May 19, revealing that the United States military was exactly one hour away from launching a devastating wave of strikes against Iran before he ordered a dramatic, last-minute postponement.

Speaking directly to reporters, the President disclosed that combat operations were fully locked in and would have been actively unfolding right now had he not received an emergency, high-level diplomatic intervention from key Arab allies on Monday.



The sudden pause has placed the entire Middle East on a knife-edge timeline.

Trump confirmed that he chose to freeze the imminent offensive after receiving urgent personal appeals from the leaders of the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar.

The Gulf monarchs reportedly contacted the White House after learning that a definitive command to launch had been handed down, successfully pleading for a temporary window to advance high-stakes, backchannel negotiations toward a diplomatic solution.

Military was completely set to strike

In a vivid description of how close the United States came to an open regional war, the President emphasized that the operational machinery of the military was entirely prepared for deployment.

Envoys and combat units were fully positioned to strike before the midnight stand-down order was broadcast to commanders.



"I was an hour away; we were all set to go," Trump told reporters during the White House briefing. "It would’ve been happening right now."

The President explained that the tripartite coalition of Arab leaders moved rapidly to intercept the execution order.

According to Trump, the foreign monarchs stated they had received indications that authorities in Tehran were finally showing signs of compliance.

"They had heard I made the decision and said, ‘Sir, could you give us a couple more days because we think they’re being reasonable?" Trump recounted.

Based on that collective regional appeal, the administration agreed to step back from the brink, though combat forces remain on high alert.

President sets a strict weekend countdown

While the President consented to a brief diplomatic window, he made it explicitly clear that the operational freeze is highly restricted and will not be extended indefinitely.



Trump has placed a firm, short-term expiration date on the pause, warning that the Pentagon will automatically resume its offensive planning if verifiable progress is not achieved by regional negotiators over the next few days.

"I’m saying two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week – a limited period of time," Trump warned, drawing a strict line for the ongoing talks.

The administration’s absolute refusal to allow the timeline to drag out reflects deep skepticism within the White House regarding Tehran's long-term diplomatic intentions.

By locking the negotiation window to the upcoming weekend, the President is forcing a rapid resolution to the geopolitical impasse.

Atomic redline remains entirely non-negotiable

The ultimate justification for the aborted strike centers squarely on preventing the Islamic Republic from achieving operational nuclear weapons status.

Trump reiterated that the United States will not tolerate any diplomatic stall tactics that allow the regime to advance its atomic enrichment infrastructure.



The President clarified that his willingness to wait until later this week is entirely contingent on a complete, verifiable diplomatic surrender.

Trump concluded his remarks with a blunt warning that the military option remains fully on the table if the Gulf nations' diplomatic efforts falter. The administration is prepared to unleash the full weight of its combat assets at the moment the current countdown expires.

"We may have to give them another big hit," the President stated openly, asserting that military force will be deployed rapidly because the global community simply cannot allow the regime to secure a nuclear weapon.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Lawmakers warn Trump donors and Capitol attack convicts may seek payouts from $1.8B DOJ program
19 minutes ago
Julia Letlow wins 45% as Fleming gets 28% and Cassidy trails with 24% in the Louisiana vote
1 hour ago
Trump praises Barry Moore’s loyalty and conservative record as Alabama GOP primary nears runoff
1 hour ago
The president says selecting the wrong successor could trigger a total disaster
2 hours ago
Trump was asked about partnering with Mark Cuban to lower prescription d**g costs despite his 2024 endorsement of Kamala Harris
8 hours ago
Patel has been under scrutiny following allegations of excessive drinking, unexplained absences and controversial use of FBI resources
8 hours ago
Raskin’s remarks reflect a pattern of aggressive Democratic rhetoric aimed at portraying Trump’s political network as dangerous
10 hours ago
Donald Trump reportedly called John Thune after Elizabeth MacDonough blocked the ballroom funding vote under Senate rules
11 hours ago
The UFC boss revealed this week that what was supposed to be an elegant evening at the newly reopened Rose Garden quickly turned into a bug-filled reality check
11 hours ago
Donald Trump joked that Mark Cuban’s endorsement was a 'mistake,' prompting laughter from the audience
11 hours ago