Trump gives Iran ‘few days’ to avoid ‘nasty’ US action as nuclear deal pressure mounts

Donald Trump said the US was prepared to move fast against Tehran as ceasefire talks showed little progress
President Donald Trump warned the situation with Iran could escalate rapidly if talks failed (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump warned the situation with Iran could escalate rapidly if talks failed (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump has warned that the US was prepared to take further action against Iran if Tehran failed to provide the “right answers” on a peace deal, saying things could turn “a little bit nasty” even as he signaled he was willing to wait “a few days” before escalating.

The remarks came as tensions remained high despite a ceasefire that paused Operation Epic Fury six weeks ago. Iran, meanwhile, warned that renewed attacks could trigger a broader regional conflict while negotiations continued through Pakistani mediation.

Trump says Iran has only days before tensions escalate

Speaking to reporters at Joint Base Andrews on Wednesday, May 20, Trump said the situation was “right on the borderline” and warned it could escalate rapidly if talks failed.

“Believe me, if we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go,” Trump said, according the source. Asked how long he would wait before deciding on further action, he replied, “It could be a few days, but it could go very quickly.”

Trump also reiterated his position on Iran’s nuclear program, saying, “We're in the final stages of Iran. We'll see what happens. Either have a deal or we're going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won't happen.”

President Donald Trump speaking at the commencement address at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn., Wednesday, May 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
President Donald Trump delivered remarks during a commencement address at the US Coast Guard Academy in Connecticut (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

“Ideally I'd like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way,” he added earlier in the day.

The president’s comments came as soaring gasoline prices continued to weigh on his approval ratings and Republicans faced pressure ahead of congressional elections in November.

Iran warns of wider regional conflict after US threats

Iranian officials responded with warnings of their own, accusing Washington of preparing for renewed military action despite ongoing negotiations.

“If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Tehran remained open to negotiations but rejected pressure tactics, writing in an X post that “forcing Iran to surrender through coercion is nothing but an illusion.”

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran was pursuing talks “with seriousness and good faith,” but added the country had “strong and reasonable suspicion over America's performance.”

Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf also claimed “obvious and hidden moves by the enemy” suggested the Americans were preparing new attacks.

Strait of Hormuz shipping restrictions raise oil market fears

Large oil tanker ship smoking sails Strait of Hormuz, Persian Gulf, Iran - stock photo (Getty Images)
Large oil tankers moved through the Strait of Hormuz after Iran tightened shipping controls (Getty Images)

The conflict has also intensified concerns over global energy markets after Iran largely shut the Strait of Hormuz to most international shipping following the US-Israeli attacks that began on February 28.

Iran released a map Wednesday outlining a new “controlled maritime zone” in the strait and said ships would require authorization to pass through. The move came as two Chinese tankers carrying about 4 million barrels of oil crossed the strait after Tehran reportedly eased rules for Chinese vessels.

Trump also said he had been “an hour away” from ordering attacks after requests from several Gulf neighbors.

The president also spoke with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who welcomed the ceasefire extension and said a “reasonable solution” remained possible, according to Ankara.

Despite ongoing talks, Tehran’s latest proposal reportedly repeated demands Trump had previously rejected, including sanctions relief, compensation for war damage and the withdrawal of US troops.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump repeatedly praised Benjamin Netanyahu and described the Israeli leader as someone he trusted completely amid the current tensions involving Iran
53 minutes ago
She shifts blame to Trump administration, noting the 'MEALS Act was signed into law by President Trump'
1 hour ago
Trump says Cuba’s economic collapse is becoming impossible to ignore
4 hours ago
US unseals murder charges against Raúl Castro over 1996 civilian plane shootdown
6 hours ago
Trump threatens renewed Iran strikes at Coast Guard Academy speech, warns escalation
8 hours ago
Trump hints at bypassing term limits in Coast Guard Academy polar fleet speech
9 hours ago
Trump has escalated attacks on reporters over the past year from criticism to personal jabs
9 hours ago
Trump walks back ‘end the war very quickly’ pledge, says in no hurry on Iran deal
10 hours ago
Trump questions Republicans over Senate parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough’s role retention
10 hours ago
Former Capitol defenders say ‘anti-weaponization’ fund is unconstitutional, Jan 6 risk
10 hours ago