Mayor Jacob Frey condemns Pentagon's 1,500 troop standby, calls move 'designed to intimidate'

Jacob Frey noted 600 local officers versus thousands of ICE and Border Patrol agents, calling the federal presence unprecedented and deeply imbalanced
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey condemned military standby, warning that Pentagon's 1,500-soldier orders were intimidation, not safety, during immigration protests (Getty Images)
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey condemned military standby, warning that Pentagon's 1,500-soldier orders were intimidation, not safety, during immigration protests (Getty Images)


MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey on Sunday, January 18, criticized the Trump administration following reports that about 1,500 active-duty soldiers had been ordered to prepare for possible deployment to Minnesota. The comments came amid ongoing protests against expanded federal immigration enforcement in the Twin Cities.

Federal officials said no decision had been made on deploying the troops. Minnesota authorities said that National Guard forces were on standby but not currently deployed to city streets.

Jacob Frey criticizes reported military standby

Frey pushed back strongly against reports that the Pentagon had placed roughly 1,500 active-duty soldiers on prepare-to-deploy orders in response to unrest in Minnesota.

Speaking on CNN’s 'State of the Union', Frey said that the move was unnecessary and counterproductive. “This act was clearly designed to intimidate the people of Minneapolis. And here’s the thing, we’re not going to be intimidated,” Frey said. “If the goal here is safety, we’ve got many mechanisms to achieve safety.”

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - JANUARY 09: Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey (C) speaks during a press conference at City Hall on January 09, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Frey and local city officials are calling on federal investigators to turn over information to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension after the shooting death of Renee Good by a federal officer this week. (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey speaks during a press conference at City Hall on January 09, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

Frey noted the scale of the federal presence in the city compared to local law enforcement.

“Right now we have about 600 police officers, and they’ve got 3,000 or so (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) agents and (Border Patrol),” he said.

“That they are now talking about deploying 1,500 military, this is, well, it’s ridiculous, but, we will not be intimidated by the actions of this federal government,” Frey added.

The mayor also expressed surprise at the scope of federal immigration operations in Minneapolis, calling the situation unprecedented.

“I never thought in a million years that we would be invaded by our own federal government,” Frey said, characterizing the presence of federal officers as “ridiculous.”

U.S. Border Patrol Chief Gregory Bovino is confronted by Evanston Mayor and congressional candidate Daniel Biss as they stop at a gas station while on patrol on December 17, 2025 in Evanston, Illinois. The agents made apprehensions of suspected undocumented immigrants as they patrolled through Chicago and several nearby suburbs. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Border Patrol Chief Gregory Bovino is confronted by Evanston Mayor and congressional candidate Daniel Biss as they stop at a gas station while on patrol on December 17, 2025, in Evanston, Illinois (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Frey’s comments followed reports by The Washington Post and ABC News that the Pentagon had ordered active-duty soldiers to prepare for deployment in case violence escalated.

A White House spokesperson told CNN that it was typical for the Pentagon “to be prepared for any decision the President may or may not make.”

Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said, “The Department of War is always prepared to execute the orders of the Commander-in-Chief if called upon."

A protester holds a sign reading 'ARREST JONATHAN ROSS' during a rally for Renee Good, Thursday, Jan. 8, 2026, in Minneapolis, after she was fatally shot the day before. (AP Photo/Adam Bettcher)
A protester holds a sign reading 'ARREST JONATHAN ROSS' during a rally for Renee Good, Thursday, January 8, 2026, in Minneapolis, after she was fatally shot the day before (AP Photo/Adam Bettcher)

Minnesota officials emphasized that no active-duty troops or National Guard members had been deployed to Minneapolis streets.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety said the Guard was “not deployed to city streets at this time, but are ready to help support public safety.”

Minnesota National Guard spokesperson Army Maj Andrea Tsuchiya said that the Guard was “staged and ready to respond” and would provide support such as traffic control if activated.

Tim Walz activates National Guard amid unrest

The reported military preparations come as protests continued in Minneapolis following the fatal shooting of Renee Good, a 37-year-old mother of three, by an ICE agent earlier this month.

ST PAUL, MN - AUGUST 14: Rep. Tim Walz (D-MN) and his wife, Gwen Walz, celebrate while entering his election night party on August 14, 2018 in St Paul, Minnesota. Walz won the night's primary and will go on to be the DFL candidate for Governor in the general election. (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
Rep Tim Walz (D-MN) and his wife, Gwen Walz, celebrate while entering his election night party on August 14, 2018, in St Paul, Minnesota (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

The shooting sparked demonstrations in Minnesota and other cities and intensified scrutiny of the Trump administration’s immigration enforcement tactics.

Governor Tim Walz activated the National Guard after the shooting to support local law enforcement, though Guard troops have not been deployed to city streets. Walz thanked local authorities for maintaining public safety and urged protesters to “stay safe and stay peaceful.”

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz responds to questions from reporters regarding whether he will seek a third term during a press conference following an event on the state's new Paid Family and Medical Leave program, Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026, in Minneapolis. (Kerem Yücel/Minnesota Public Radio via AP)
Minnesota Gov Tim Walz responds to questions from reporters regarding whether he will seek a third term during a press conference following an event on the state's new Paid Family and Medical Leave program, Tuesday, January 6, 2026, in Minneapolis (Kerem Yücel/Minnesota Public Radio via AP)

Protests continued over the weekend, with tense standoffs between demonstrators and federal officers near City Hall.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Laura Loomer also claimed Nasire Best made a TikTok post threatening violence against Donald Trump in December 2025
6 hours ago
Amin Abdullah’s sons remembered their father as a hero after he died protecting children during a mosque attack
7 hours ago
'Forever yours, forever mine,' Bettina Anderson captioned a black-and-white photo shared on Instagram Stories
8 hours ago
Karoline Leavitt praised Marco Rubio and JD Vance after the pair stepped in during her maternity leave
8 hours ago
FBI agents must qualify through local rounds before competing in Quantico, where the event will focus on fitness and team-building
8 hours ago
More than 40,000 residents were evacuated after emergency teams were unable to neutralize the chemical tank at an aerospace facility
9 hours ago
Abdul Carter mocked Jaxson Dart’s Donald Trump rally appearance, saying he thought the viral clip was created using AI
11 hours ago
Donald Trump Jr and Bettina Anderson celebrated their union alongside Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump and relatives
11 hours ago
A source said Tiger Woods believes Vanessa Trump will recover and is supporting her despite his recent DUI troubles
13 hours ago
Nasire Best allegedly violated prior stay-away orders before opening fire near the White House checkpoint
13 hours ago