Netanyahu threatens to ‘crush’ Iran as Israel ignores Trump’s five-day pause

Netanyahu says campaign will continue until Iran’s nuclear and missile capabilities are eliminated
Prime Minister Netanyahu has vowed that Israeli strikes on Iran and Lebanon will continue even as the United States considers a five-day pause to allow negotiations to proceed (Ronen Zvulun, Pool Photo via AP)
Prime Minister Netanyahu has vowed that Israeli strikes on Iran and Lebanon will continue even as the United States considers a five-day pause to allow negotiations to proceed (Ronen Zvulun, Pool Photo via AP)

JERUSALEM: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Monday, March 23, that Israel will continue its military operations against Iran and allied groups even as discussions around a potential agreement move forward.

In a video statement, Netanyahu confirmed he spoke with President Donald Trump earlier in the day about recent battlefield developments and possible diplomatic pathways.

“President Trump believes there is an opportunity to realize the goals of the war in an agreement that will safeguard our vital interests,” Netanyahu said.

He added that Israel remains engaged in active operations, including strikes in Iran and against Hezbollah positions in Lebanon.

Nuclear scientists eliminated in covert strikes



Netanyahu said Israeli operations in recent days resulted in the deaths of two Iranian nuclear scientists, part of what he described as ongoing efforts targeting Iran’s nuclear program.

He linked the strikes to broader actions taken since the start of the conflict on February 28.

Israeli forces have also conducted repeated strikes on the Natanz uranium-enrichment facility.

International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) officials have continued monitoring the site, reporting no confirmed off-site radiation impact so far.

Dismantling the 'Axis' in Lebanon

Smoke rises following an Israeli airstrike in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Monday, March 9, 2026. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
The IDF is continuing Operation Roaring Lion to erase Hezbollah's launch capabilities and enforce a buffer zone, ignoring the 120-hour reprieve (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

In Lebanon, Israeli forces are continuing operations against Hezbollah targets. Netanyahu said the campaign includes strikes on missile launchers and command infrastructure used to carry out attacks on northern Israel.

Israeli officials have reported the killing of senior Hezbollah figures, including a commander associated with the Radwan Force.

Military actions have also targeted infrastructure such as bridges near the Litani River, which Israeli authorities say are used for logistical support.

“We continue to attack both in Iran and Lebanon,” Netanyahu said, indicating that operations across multiple fronts remain ongoing.

Trump’s five-day strike postponement



Netanyahu’s remarks come after Trump announced a five-day delay in planned US strikes on Iranian energy infrastructure, citing ongoing discussions with Tehran.

Trump has said there is a possibility of reaching an agreement, though Iranian officials have denied that talks are taking place.

Netanyahu did not indicate any slowdown in Israeli operations during this period, underscoring that military pressure will continue alongside diplomatic efforts.

He said any agreement would need to address Israel’s security concerns and prevent future threats from Iran.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
1 day ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
1 day ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
2 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026