‘Nothing to do with the hack’: White House speaks out on Trump chief Susie Wiles hoax

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged several texts with someone claiming to be Wiles
Susie Wiles, Karoline Leavitt, Margo Martin and Natalie Harp walk to board Air Force One on August 11, 2026 at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Susie Wiles, Karoline Leavitt, Margo Martin and Natalie Harp walk to board Air Force One on August 11, 2026 at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The White House rejected fears on Monday, August 17, that Chief of Staff Susie Wiles’ phone was compromised again after a British prime minister received messages from a hoaxer.

The messages appeared to come from Wiles, whose phone was reportedly breached in an earlier incident that prompted FBI and White House probes.

British Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged “a few messages” with the impersonator before becoming concerned they were not from Wiles.

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 6: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt (C) walks back towards the White House after a television interview on the North Lawn on March 6, 2026 in Washington, DC. Leavitt took questions from reporters after the interview on the ongoing U.S. and Israeli attacks on Iran and other topics. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt on the North Lawn on March 6, 2026 in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

White House denies Wiles device was involved

A White House official told the Independent the Burnham incident was separate from the earlier security breach involving Wiles’ phone.

“This incident had nothing to do with the Chief of Staff’s devices being hacked,” the official said.

The denial came after the British government contacted the White House through its embassy in Washington because of concerns that Wiles’ phone had been breached as it was a year ago.

Burnham had briefly “engaged” with messages purporting to be from Wiles, Politico first reported. 

His office later said the “few messages” exchanged were “of no significance.”

The prime minister’s office also described the incident as a “national security matter” and said there would be no further comment.

White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles attends an Oval Office meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan at the White House on September 25, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump has signaled that the U.S. might lift a ban on F-35 sales to Turkey during Erdogan’s first visit to the White House since 2019. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles attends an Oval Office meeting on September 25, 2025 in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

The episode came more than a year after political and business figures began receiving texts and calls from someone claiming to be Wiles. 

Wiles reportedly told people at the time that her phone had been breached.

Earlier Wiles hoax prompted federal probe

The FBI and White House launched a probe into the earlier Wiles impersonation incidents after a number of political and business figures received messages and calls they believed came from her.

According to the Wall Street Journal, FBI officials told the White House they did not believe a foreign adversary was responsible for those incidents.

The latest episode involving Burnham was not the first high-profile impersonation involving British or American officials.

Andy Burnham speaks to supporters after the Makerfield by-election in Ashton in Makerfield, England, Friday, June 19, 2026 (AP Photo/Jon Super)
Andy Burnham speaks to supporters after the Makerfield by-election in Ashton in Makerfield, England, Friday, June 19, 2026 (AP Photo/Jon Super)

In 2024, Lord David Cameron, then the British foreign minister, was duped by a hoaxer who got him to exchange texts and speak by phone with someone pretending to be former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.

Last year, Secretary of State Marco Rubio was also impersonated by an individual who used AI to mimic his voice and written communications in messages to several senior officials, the Washington Post reported.

The Post said a State Department cable attributed the Rubio hoaxes to an actor seeking “access to information or accounts.”

Officials have faced other messaging security problems

The report by the Independent points to broader security concerns involving how Trump administration officials conduct government business on personal devices.

Officials frequently use personal devices and the Signal encrypted messaging app for government business, according to the report.

ecretary of State Marco Rubio attends the ASEAN Post Ministerial Conference with the United States during the ASEAN Foreign Ministers' Meeting at the Philippine International Convention Center on July 22, 2026 in Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines (Getty Images)
Secretary of State Marco Rubio at the Philippine International Convention Center on July 22, 2026 in Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines (Getty Images)

Michael Waltz, a former Florida congressman who serves as US ambassador to the United Nations, was removed from his prior role as national security adviser after inadvertently including Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg in a Signal chat.

The chat included Rubio, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and other senior administration officials and involved discussions about plans for airstrikes on Houthi rebels in Yemen last year.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Bill Maher called Iran a regime that killed thousands, contrasting it with President Donald Trump, who he said was 'nowhere near as bad'
3 minutes ago
Sen Jon Ossoff criticized Trump's relationship with longtime aide Natalie Harp, accusing him of choosing to 'travel with Natalie' over doing his job
2 hours ago
Trump cited his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un for opposing the drills and said South Korea declined his request to help denuclearize Iran
3 hours ago
Trump had previously threatened to 'blow up' Oman if it didn't 'behave', and days earlier said he could claim the Strait of Hormuz as US territory
3 hours ago
Trump confirmed direct contact with IRGC as negotiations stall, while demanding Tehran surrender and declining to set a timeline for a deal
3 hours ago
The justices have now closed off another route in Trump’s $5 million Carroll case, while a separate $83 million appeal remains ahead
4 hours ago
Donald Trump scaled back US-South Korea drills, saying he was 'not happy' with participation due to his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un
12 hours ago
Ossoff praised the USS Abraham Lincoln crew’s service, saying they endure hardship but deserve competent leaders and clarity about the purpose of war
13 hours ago
Trump made the announcement Sunday, August 16, as the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were set to begin Monday
14 hours ago
Donald Trump renewed his dispute with Jeanine Pirro after her office blamed faulty construction for damage to the newly renovated landmark
14 hours ago