Pentagon lifts lockdown after faulty sensor sparks anthrax scare, hazmat response activated

Sean Parnell said testing ruled out any danger after air quality alert triggered emergency procedures inside the Pentagon complex
Security personnel and staff were seen outside the Pentagon during the temporary lockdown in Arlington (Getty Images)
Security personnel and staff were seen outside the Pentagon during the temporary lockdown in Arlington (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: The Pentagon lockdown was lifted after a faulty sensor triggered an anthrax scare, setting off a full hazmat response at the Defense Department headquarters in Arlington, Virginia.

The incident briefly disrupted operations inside one of the most secure federal buildings in the United States. Officials later confirmed that testing found no hazardous material and normal activity resumed after several hours of uncertainty.

Faulty sensor triggers anthrax scare and emergency response

The emergency was triggered after an air quality detection system flagged a possible anthrax presence inside the Pentagon. The alert immediately activated hazardous materials protocols and prompted a rapid response from emergency teams.

Personnel were instructed to follow shelter-in-place orders while specialists assessed the situation. Officials said the system’s reading appeared to be caused by a malfunction rather than any real contamination.

The Pentagon, heaquarters of the U.S. Department of Defense, is seen from the air on February 8, 2025, in Washington, DC. (Photo by J. David Ake/Getty Images)
The Pentagon, headquarters of the Department of Defense, was seen from the air on February 8, 2025, in Washington, DC (J David Ake/Getty Images)

Pentagon lockdown halts operations and leads to evacuations

As the alert spread, parts of the Pentagon were placed under lockdown. Employees in affected corridors were asked to remain in place while testing was carried out.

Other staff members outside the immediate investigation zones were temporarily evacuated as a precaution. The response impacted several sections of the sprawling Pentagon complex, which houses thousands of military and civilian personnel.

Authorities maintained emergency procedures until testing could confirm whether any exposure risk existed.

Sean Parnell confirms no hazard after testing

Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell confirmed that the situation had been fully resolved and no danger was found.

“Earlier this morning, Pentagon occupants were notified of a potential air quality issue, prompting immediate precautionary safety measures and evaluation,” Parnell said.

ARLINGTON, VA - MARCH 17: Chief Pentagon Spokesman Sean Parnell speaks during a press conference at the Pentagon on March 17, 2025 in Arlington, Virginia. Chief Pentagon Spokesman Parnell held his first news briefing to answer questions from members of the press. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell spoke during a press conference at the Pentagon on March 17, 2025, in Arlington, Virginia (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

He added that follow-up testing ruled out any threat.

“Subsequent testing confirmed no hazard exists, and normal operations have resumed,” he said.

Parnell also thanked emergency responders for their swift action during the incident.

“We express our sincere appreciation to the first responders for their swift actions to ensure the safety of all personnel,” he said.

False alarm raises questions over sensor reliability

Officials confirmed the episode ended without injuries or confirmed exposure to hazardous materials. However, the incident has raised questions about how a sensor malfunction was able to trigger a large-scale emergency response inside a high-security facility.

The Pentagon continues to review the cause of the alert and whether additional safeguards are needed to prevent similar disruptions in the future.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
19 minutes ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
5 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
6 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
7 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
8 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
10 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
10 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
17 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
17 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
19 hours ago