Rubio threatens forceful response to US Navy attacks, says ‘they’re going to get blown up’

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio issued a stark warning after clashes near Hormuz following US retaliatory strikes on Iranian targets
Marco Rubio issued a sharp warning on Iranian aggression, saying speedboats near US warships would be targeted (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
Marco Rubio issued a sharp warning on Iranian aggression, saying speedboats near US warships would be targeted (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)


WASHINGTON, DC: Amid rising tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and ongoing diplomatic efforts to ease the conflict between the United States and Iran, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio issued a sharp warning over threats to American naval forces. His remarks came after recent maritime clashes that further escalated already strained relations between Washington and Tehran.

The US military carried out retaliatory strikes on Iran on Thursday, May 7, targeting locations it said were linked to attacks on American warships. Washington described the action as a direct response to what it called unprovoked aggression by Tehran in international waters.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives at Paris-Le Bourget Airport, in Le Bourget, France, early Friday, March 27, 2026, to take part in the G7 foreign ministers' meeting. (Brendan Smialowski/Pool Photo via AP)
Marco Rubio arrived at Paris-Le Bourget Airport to attend the G7 foreign ministers’ meeting (Brendan Smialowski/Pool Photo via AP)

Rubio warns of forceful response to threats against US naval forces

Speaking firmly on the escalating situation, Rubio said any hostile action against US Navy vessels would be met with immediate force. “If they threaten Americans, they're going to get blown up," he said.

He also warned that Iranian speedboats operating close to US warships would be treated as hostile targets and could be destroyed if necessary. Rubio stressed that US forces would not hesitate to respond to any attack in the region.

Reiterating the stance, he added, “We’re not going to let our ships get sunk by the Iranians.”

A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Saturday, May 2, 2026.(Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)
A patrol boat moved through the Strait of Hormuz as cargo ships remained anchored off Bandar Abbas, Iran (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

Rubio says latest strikes separate from Operation Epic Fury campaign

Clarifying the scope of recent military action, Rubio said the strikes linked to Iranian attacks on US destroyers were distinct from Operation Epic Fury, a broader campaign targeting Iran’s military infrastructure.

Speaking to reporters in Rome on Friday, May 8, he said the recent response was “separate and distinct from Operation Epic Fury,” which previously targeted missile systems, naval assets, air force installations, and other military facilities.

He added that the larger operation had concluded, reinforcing the US position on retaliation. “Only stupid countries don’t shoot back when you’re shot at. And we’re not a stupid country,” Rubio said.

White House releases photos showing Donald Trump and national security advisors monitoring Iran strikes during Operation Epic Fury (@WhiteHouse/X)
The White House released images showing Donald Trump and advisers monitoring Iran strike operations (@WhiteHouse/X)

US military responds after maritime clashes in Strait of Hormuz

The escalation followed reported encounters between US naval forces and Iranian vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, a key global shipping route. According to US Central Command, American forces intercepted incoming threats and carried out defensive strikes in response.

CENTCOM said US Navy destroyers were transiting the Strait of Hormuz into the Gulf of Oman when they came under what it described as unprovoked Iranian action.



“US forces intercepted unprovoked Iranian attacks and responded with self-defense strikes,” CENTCOM said in a statement posted on X on May 7.

It added that the response aimed to neutralize threats and ensure safe passage for US naval operations in the region.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Roommates said Jessica Bowie wore a niqab and largely kept to herself, often retreating to her bedroom after returning home
7 hours ago
Demonstrators called for Mayor Frey's resignation, but tensions rose when counter-protesters arrived and surrounded Lang before he left in his car
8 hours ago
Nancy Kassebaum Baker chaired the Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee and was its only female chair when she announced her retirement
9 hours ago
President Trump was in Myrtle Beach to support Republican Senate candidate Darline Graham Nordone ahead of Tuesday's runoff
11 hours ago
This is not actually Kennedy's first brush with his very unusual ringtone becoming a public event
13 hours ago
Alina Habba joked that anonymous sources should tell her first if she’s getting a new job, calling 'fake news' the 'undefeated champ'
22 hours ago
Vice President JD Vance greeted a packed crowd, served cheese coneys and joked with locals after a $1 billion steel investment event
1 day ago
Karoline Leavitt revealed where she is headed next as she took her final ride on Air Force One as White House press secretary on Friday
1 day ago
'The fact that the media is now trying to turn loyalty and hard work into some kind of scandal tells you everything you need to know', Boebert said
1 day ago
Bowie visited the Capitol five times between July 21 and August 9, photographing it and sending dozens of images unknowingly to an FBI informant
1 day ago