Senate freezes Hegseth's travel funds, demands answers on strike that killed 150 Iran schoolgirls

Pete Hegseth could access only a fraction of his travel budget until lawmakers receive records tied to overseas military operations
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke during a public appearance as senators pushed for the release of military strike records (Omar Havana/Getty Images)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke during a public appearance as senators pushed for the release of military strike records (Omar Havana/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth is facing a bipartisan congressional rebuke as lawmakers move to restrict his travel budget over long-running complaints that the Pentagon has kept Congress in the dark.

The proposed restriction comes as senators demand records related to military strikes that have drawn scrutiny from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle. The effort turns months of frustration over limited access to information into a direct funding measure aimed at forcing greater transparency from the Pentagon.

Senate targets Pete Hegseth travel budget over strike records

A Republican-led Senate Armed Services Committee proposal filed Tuesday would block Hegseth from using more than 25 percent of his travel budget until the Pentagon turns over key documents related to military operations.

Under the defense policy bill, lawmakers are demanding "unredacted civilian harm investigations" and other records connected to strikes in the Middle East and Latin America.

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth speaks to reporters during the White House Easter Egg Roll on the South Lawn of the White House on April 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. The White House said they are expecting thousands of children and adults to participate in the annual tradition of rolling colored eggs down the White House lawn, which was started by President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1878. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Pete Hegseth spoke to reporters during the White House Easter Egg Roll in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Committee members, led by Republican Sen Roger Wicker, highlighted the April 2025 strikes in Yemen that resulted in dozens of casualties and the February 2026 strike on the Minab girls' school in Iran that left at least 150 students and staff among the reported casualties.

The legislation also seeks "unedited video of strikes conducted against designated organizations in the area of responsibility of the United States Southern Command," referring to deadly boat strikes in the Caribbean that began in September last year.

Democratic Sen Jack Reed, the committee's ranking member, said the measure was designed to increase oversight.

"It strengthens national defense and enhances oversight and accountability," Reed said in a statement.

He added that the bill "forces the Secretary to be more accountable to Congress and will prevent many errors of the past from being repeated in the future," while also acknowledging Wicker's "partnership.”

Lawmakers raise transparency concerns over military operations

The budget restriction follows months of public complaints from lawmakers who said they were not receiving enough information from the Pentagon.

In March, Rep Mike Rogers, the Republican chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, openly criticized the Trump administration's level of communication regarding Middle East planning.

(Congressman Mike D. Rogers/Facebook)
Mike Rogers said lawmakers wanted more information about military planning and policy options (Congressman Mike D Rogers/Facebook)

“We want to know more about what's going on, what the options are, and why they're being considered," Rogers told reporters.

"And we're just not getting enough answers on those questions," he added.

Those concerns now form the backdrop for a Senate proposal that directly links Hegseth's travel spending to compliance with congressional oversight demands.

Senate hearing highlights tensions with Pentagon officials

Tensions between lawmakers and defense officials also surfaced during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing in November.

Wicker temporarily halted the hearing after a Defense Department official appeared to incorrectly state that lawmakers had already received briefings on plans to reduce the number of US troops stationed in Romania.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 11: Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS) speaks to the press on the transparency from the Department of Defense regarding the health of Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on January 11, 2024 in Washington, DC. Secretary Austin was hospitalized for surgery relating to prostate cancer, which was not reported for several days. (Photo by Anna Rose Layden/Getty Images)
Roger Wicker spoke about transparency and congressional oversight of Defense Department operations (Anna Rose Layden/Getty Images)

“Where did you get that information?" Wicker asked Austin Dahmer, the deputy defense undersecretary for policy.

Florida Republican Sen Rick Scott also challenged the claim.

"Can you tell me who did them, the dates… because I wasn't invited," Scott said.

The exchange underscored the same complaint now driving the Senate proposal: lawmakers from both parties say they have repeatedly been left without information they believe Congress should have received.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

A Maoist faction of the DSA rejected Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as its 2028 standard-bearer, citing her stances on policing and Israel
1 hour ago
Officials told CNN that Harp stayed with Trump much of the day, joined meetings, advised him on posts, and served as a channel for foreign leaders
2 hours ago
Miller enlisted in 1939 and manned an anti-aircraft gun after helping his wounded commander at Pearl Harbor, later receiving the Navy Cross in 1942
3 hours ago
'I mean, first of all, he's almost 10 years older than I am. And with an illness... you kinda can't let your head go there', Jill Biden said
3 hours ago
JD Vance said the administration had relied on alternative routes, pipelines and other infrastructure to keep oil moving despite the disruption
11 hours ago
The potential change comes as the Navy reviews its broader rules for naming ships
12 hours ago
Donald Trump defended his Iran strategy, touted his economic record and border policies, and praised Michael Cohen after their yearslong feud
13 hours ago
JD Vance blamed the Biden administration for leaving behind what he called a 'debt bomb'
14 hours ago
'I solved the problem in 30 days and solved it beautifully in 60, and at the end of 90 days, nobody comes in,' Trump said
14 hours ago
In one letter, Natalie Harp told Donald Trump, 'You are all that matters to me,' and said she never wanted to disappoint him
14 hours ago