'Shut up and do your time': Internet shreds ex-Trump advisor Peter Navarro as his second bid for release gets rejected by Supreme Court

Former Trump advisor Peter Navarro faced rejection from the Supreme Court in his second attempt to evade additional prison time
The United States Supreme Court has shot down a request from former Trump adviser Peter Navarro to avoid further prison time over his contempt of Congress conviction (Getty Images)
The United States Supreme Court has shot down a request from former Trump adviser Peter Navarro to avoid further prison time over his contempt of Congress conviction (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: On Monday, April 29, the Supreme Court of the United States denied former Trump advisor Peter Navarro’s request to evade additional prison time for the second time.

Last month, Navarro's emergency appeal contended to let him remain free while he contested his conviction of contempt of Congress at the federal appeals court in Washington, DC.

However, Chief Justice John Roberts turned down the request, compelling Navarro to go to jail the next day, according to CNN.



 

Subsequently, Navarro attempted a procedural action that had not been successful in decades, where he resubmitted the request to Justice Neil Gorsuch, the first high-court nominee of Trump.

According to Supreme Court regulations, parties may reapply to a different justice if their emergency applications are rejected by the previous one.

Nonetheless, Justice Gorsuch referred the request to the full court, prompting deliberations and discussions over the case during its closed-door conference on Friday, and then subsequently denied it on Monday without any comment.

What did Peter Navarro’s lawyers argue in front of the court?

Navarro's lawyers initially argued that halting the lower court's ruling, which rejected his request to stay out of prison, was necessary. This was because they believed Navarro wasn't a flight risk and that he raised substantial legal questions.

Navarro contended that his appeal would "raise a number of issues on appeal that he believes will likely result in the reversal of his conviction, or a new trial."

However, two lower courts turned down similar appeals, and last month, Roberts rejected the request with a brief opinion.



 

The chief justice said that federal appeals courts had already concluded that Navarro had forfeited any challenge to the notion that even if he were entitled to executive privilege, he could not avoid appearing before Congress.

Justice Roberts stated that he saw "no basis to disagree with the determination that Navarro forfeited those arguments."

Peter Navarro was sentenced to four months in prison after a jury found him guilty of failing to respond to congressional subpoenas for documents and testimony in the House's investigation of the January 6, 2021, US Capitol attack. Although Navarro's underlying case is still pending before the appeals court.

Internet slams Peter Navarro as second longshot bid for release pending appeal has been denied

One X user remarked, "Excellent but I don’t understand why these criminals expect to not be held accountable for their crimes. Do they not understand the severity of trying to steal an election is? They act like they just trespassed or something. You’re not above the Law!! Unbelievable!!"



 

Another user said, "That's how quickly they should have denied cert for the presidential immunity claim."



 

Another user wrote, "I almost forgot about Peter Navarro..oops, he’s locked up in federal prison. The Supreme Court says No freebies for you Peter."



 

One X user claimed, "Great, Now do Bannon! How long before his appeal is rejected?"



 

Another user quipped, "Cue the sad trombone."



 

Another user remarked, "How’s that Green Bay sweep working for him?"



 

Finally, this user tweeted, "I am loving every bit of this for him."



 

Another user added, "This makes me really happy. Now shut up and do your time Pete!"



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The State Department said applicants from the affected countries posed a high risk of becoming public charges and relying on US government resources
1 hour ago
JD Vance pointed to Abdul El-Sayed’s past comments on Sharia law as proof of how far he believes Democrats have moved from their working-class roots
4 hours ago
Bill Maher questioned the party's handling of the Israel-Gaza debate and highlighted Sen Jon Ossoff's role in the growing internal divide
5 hours ago
Donald Trump made the remark while recalling a conversation with Melania Trump about his signature 'YMCA' dance routine
6 hours ago
Canada sharply responded, stating that it would immediately respond with matching tariffs, as both sides blamed the other for the collapse in talks
6 hours ago
Trump called Tucker Carlson a 'low-IQ individual' who is 'totally irrelevant,' and suggested he needs a cognitive test if he runs for office
7 hours ago
Donald Trump defended Darline Graham over criticism of her national security remarks and urged South Carolina Republicans to support her campaign
7 hours ago
Trump said he did not direct Scott Bessent to intervene in the bond market and that the Treasury secretary acted on his own initiative
8 hours ago
Trump argued that a Democratic takeover would hurt jobs and businesses, and claimed they would seek to remove him from office without a clear reason
8 hours ago
Trump praised Scott Jennings and Margo Martin as interest grows in who will take over the high-profile White House communications role
9 hours ago