Trump says ‘we’re reviewing everything’ in Minneapolis shooting, feds to pull back ‘at some point’

Donald Trump also said that while he doesn't 'like any shooting', Alex Pretti carrying a fully loaded gun to a protest 'doesn't play good either'
UPDATED JAN 26, 2026
Speaking to The Wall Street Journal in a five-minute phone call, Donald Trump said his team is still weighing what happened when Border Patrol agents shot and killed Alex Pretti (Getty Images)
Speaking to The Wall Street Journal in a five-minute phone call, Donald Trump said his team is still weighing what happened when Border Patrol agents shot and killed Alex Pretti (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Trump administration is taking a fresh look at the fatal shooting of an armed ICU nurse who was protesting Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Minneapolis, with President Donald Trump saying federal agents deployed to the city won’t stay forever.

Speaking to The Wall Street Journal in a five-minute phone call Sunday night, Trump said his team is still weighing what happened when Border Patrol agents shot and killed 37-year-old Alex Pretti during an anti-ICE protest on Saturday, January 24.

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - JANUARY 24: People pay their respects during a candlelight vigil for Alex Pretti after he was shot and killed earlier in the day on January 24, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Federal agents shot and killed Pretti amid a scuffle to arrest him. The Trump administration has sent a reported 3,000 federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
People pay their respects during a candlelight vigil for Alex Pretti after he was shot and killed earlier in the day on January 24, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

“We’re looking, we’re reviewing everything and will come out with a determination,” Trump said, stopping short of offering his own conclusion on whether the officer’s actions were justified.

“I don’t like any shooting. I don’t like it,” the commander-in-chief added. “But I don’t like it when somebody goes into a protest, and he’s got a very powerful, fully loaded gun with two magazines loaded up with bullets also. That doesn’t play good either.”

Details surrounding Alex Pretti's shooting



Pretti was armed with a pistol during the confrontation with federal agents. Minnesota officials said he had a concealed carry permit.

Viral video from the scene appears to show an agent pulling the gun from Pretti’s waistband as others pin him to the ground. Seconds later, several shots can be heard. Pretti’s body went limp, and he was later pronounced dead.



The shooting marked the second killing of a US citizen in Minneapolis at the hands of immigration officers in recent weeks.

Members of Trump’s administration quickly framed the incident as a case of an armed man provoking violence. White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller wrote on social media that Pretti was “a would-be assassin” who “tried to murder federal law enforcement.”



Vice President JD Vance blamed local officials and called the unrest “engineered chaos” that was “the direct consequence of far left agitators, working with local authorities.”



Trump hints at federal pullback after Alex Pretti's death

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 17: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to reporters after signing a proclamation in the Oval Office at the White House on April 17, 2025 in Washington, DC. The proclamation expands fishing rights in the Pacific Islands to an area he described as three times the size of California. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters after signing a proclamation in the Oval Office at the White House on April 17, 2025, in Washington, DC (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Trump also said Sunday that the thousands of federal agents sent into the Twin Cities would not remain indefinitely.

“At some point, we will leave. We’ve done, they’ve done a phenomenal job,” he told the Journal, though he offered no timeline for when the drawdown would begin.

The White House declined to say whether Trump had watched the videos of the shooting (which appeared to contradict parts of his administration’s account) or whether he planned to speak with Minnesota Gov Tim Walz, a Democrat who has urged the president to help restore calm. 

Tim Walz signed an education finance bill mandating that all public and charter schools in Minnesota provide all students free access to menstrual products (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
 Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz speaks to reporters after a meeting with former President Joe Biden at the White House on July 3, 2024, in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Instead, Trump has said he would push Congress to pass legislation banning so-called sanctuary cities.

The president’s first public response came just hours after the shooting Saturday, when he posted on Truth Social questioning why Pretti was armed and accusing Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey of stoking unrest with “insurrection, with their pompous, dangerous, and arrogant rhetoric.”

He also urged Minnesota officials to cooperate with immigration authorities and “turn over” people who are in the country illegally.

“Tragically, two American Citizens have lost their lives as a result of this Democrat ensued chaos,” Trump posted on Truth Social.

RELATED TOPICS MINNEAPOLIS ICE SHOOTING FALLOUT

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Minnesota BCA condemns ‘unprecedented’ FBI noncooperation, blocks access to investigation files
5 hours ago
Trump says DOJ will seek death penalty if Savannah Guthrie’s mother is harmed
6 hours ago
Media executive reveals fourth ransom letter claims anchor’s mother taken south
7 hours ago
Attorney General Pam Bondi releases 300-name Epstein list, says inclusion isn't wrongdoing
8 hours ago
The revived ICE task force model, which had ended in 2012 over profiling concerns, offered equipment funding and incentives to departments that joined
8 hours ago
Sheriff Chris Nanos calls the suspect’s backpack one of the strongest leads
9 hours ago
James Heidorn calls leaving his 14-year teaching career 'devastating' after community backlash over his personal ICE support
17 hours ago
Hillary Clinton outlined arming Ukraine with missiles, while Petr Macinka urged calm dialogue and rejected labeling opponents 'fascist'
17 hours ago
Sources say Savannah Guthrie may leave 'Today' after her mother’s Tucson abduction, fearing her job may have made her a target
17 hours ago
The former president and first lady cheered courtside with daughter Sasha while enjoying the All-Star Game and sharing family moments
17 hours ago