Trump warns of death penalty if Nancy Guthrie’s kidnappers don’t return her alive
WASHINGTON, DC: Trump on Monday, February 16, issued a stark warning to those responsible for the abduction of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie, saying they will face the “most severe” federal penalties if she is not returned alive. In a brief phone interview with The Post, Trump said his administration would not show leniency in the case involving the mother of NBC ‘Today’ show host Savannah Guthrie.
Nancy Guthrie was abducted from her home outside Tucson on February 1, prompting a large-scale search involving federal and local law enforcement agencies. When asked whether the Justice Department would pursue the death penalty if found guilty, Trump replied, “The most, yeah—that’s true,” signaling he would direct federal prosecutors to seek the maximum penalty available.
Seeking the most severe federal consequences
Trump’s remarks indicate an increased federal response in the kidnapping investigation. He stated that the perpetrators would face “very, very severe” consequences under federal law if Guthrie is not returned safely.
Federal charges are often pursued in abduction cases that involve interstate elements or violations of federal statutes. A federal prosecution would allow the Justice Department to take primary control of the case, potentially streamlining proceedings that might otherwise take place at the state level.
The President’s comments suggest that the Department of Justice is preparing for multiple possible outcomes as the investigation progresses.
Navigating the complex death penalty landscape
Arizona law allows for capital punishment, but the state's process for carrying out executions has experienced significant delays. Currently, 109 inmates on Arizona’s death row have been there for decades. Recently, the state lifted a nearly two-year pause on executions that had been put in place by a previous administration.
If a case moves to federal prosecution, it will enter the federal capital system, which has different procedures. The Trump administration has expressed support for actively using the federal death penalty in cases of violent crimes.
By highlighting the "most severe" consequences, Trump positioned this potential response as consistent with his broader law enforcement priorities.
Reversing the prior administration’s sentencing policy
Trump’s position also contrasts with actions taken under former President Joe Biden, who commuted the sentences of 37 of the 40 individuals on federal death row before leaving office.
The current administration has outlined plans to move the remaining federal death row inmates to supermax facilities. Officials have indicated an intent to maintain capital punishment as an available sentencing option for qualifying federal offenses.
The President’s remarks in the Guthrie case are consistent with that policy position, particularly in cases involving elderly victims and high-profile abductions.
Demand for Nancy Guthrie’s safe return
Trump said the severity of any prosecution would depend on Guthrie’s condition if she recovers. He described the case as urgent and said those involved have an opportunity to change the outcome.
As the search continues, the Justice Department is monitoring developments and coordinating with investigators on the ground. Federal authorities have not announced any arrests.