Trump announces plans to make IVF cheaper: 'Many more beautiful American children'

'The per-cycle cost of drugs used in IVF will fall by an estimated 73% for American consumers,' said Trump, announcing a deal with EMD Serono
PUBLISHED OCT 17, 2025
President Donald Trump made the announcement regarding IVF and fertiliy drugs during an event in the Oval Office of the White House on October 16, 2025, in Washington, DC (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump made the announcement regarding IVF and fertiliy drugs during an event in the Oval Office of the White House on October 16, 2025, in Washington, DC (Getty Images)


 

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Thursday, October 16, revealed his plans to significantly reduce the cost of fertility treatments and in vitro fertilization (IVF).

As a presidential candidate last year, Trump vowed to make IVF free through either an insurance mandate or government subsidy. It would mean “many more beautiful American children,” he said while making the announcement during a White House press briefing. 

Trump unveils plan for 'fertility insurance' and lower drug prices

U.S. President Donald Trump answers questions from reporters during an event in the Oval Office of the White House on October 16, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump outlined plans to expand vitro fertilization (IVF) access by encouraging workplace benefits to include access to IVF and infertility coverage. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump answers questions from reporters during an event in the Oval Office of the White House on October 16, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

As part of the initiative, Donald Trump has introduced two more modest initial steps to encourage employers to offer new supplemental fertility coverage while lowering the cost of the drugs involved.

“Effective immediately, for the first time ever, we will make it legal for companies to offer supplemental insurance plans specifically for fertility — that’s never been done before,” the POTUS said in the Oval Office. “With what we signed, Americans will be able to opt in to specialized coverage, just as they get vision and dental insurance, they can get fertility insurance for the first time.”

He further asserted that his IVF initiatives would lead to “healthier pregnancies, healthier babies, and many more beautiful American children.”

The commander-in-chief announced that the drug maker EMD Serono will list its fertility drug Gonal-f on the forthcoming TrumpRx website with large discounts. This comes as he pressures pharmaceutical giants to lower prices for government programs and people without insurance to avoid high tariffs. 

“In addition, the FDA will be working with the company to expedite review and approval of another common fertility IVF drug, and currently it’s selling in Europe. It’s Pergoveris,” Trump mentioned. “As a result of these actions, the per-cycle cost of drugs used in IVF will fall by an estimated 73% for American consumers.”

Trump tasked administration with lowering IVF costs in February

 U.S. President Donald Trump prepares to deliver remarks from the Oval Office of the White House on October 16, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump outlined plans to expand vitro fertilization (IVF) access by encouraging workplace benefits to include access to IVF and infertility coverage. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump prepares to deliver remarks from the Oval Office of the White House on October 16, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Trump tasked his administration to come up with “policy recommendations to secure IVF access and significantly reduce out-of-pocket and health plan costs for such treatments” in a February executive order aimed at promoting the fertility treatment.

“[I]t is the policy of my Administration to ensure reliable access to IVF treatment, including by easing unnecessary statutory or regulatory burdens to make IVF treatment drastically more affordable,” the order read.

Pharmaceutical company hails partnership with Trump

(emdgroup.com)
EMD Serono’s top executive said the company’s collaboration with Donald Trump and his administration will help more families access and benefit from IVF innovations (emdgroup.com)

EMD Serono said in a statement that “voluntary agreement” with the Trump administration “meets the White House Executive Order on increasing access” to the company’s “approved IVF treatments and confirms America’s public policy leadership in helping families navigate a path to parenthood.”

“As a result of our collaboration with President Trump and his Administration, more families across the United States can now access and benefit from IVF innovation, and hopefully fulfill their dream of starting or expanding their family,” Danny Bar-Zohar, the CEO of healthcare for EMD Serono’s German-based parent company Merck KGaA, said.

“Gonal-f is the most prescribed follicle-stimulating hormone in the US, and our full portfolio of IVF therapies has supported over 6 million successful births worldwide,” he added.

MORE STORIES

Joy Reid argued that the party had focused too much on cultural and identity issues, which she said alienated many potential supporters in rural areas
36 minutes ago
The group alleges that Letitia James engaged in ‘illegal and dishonest conduct’ tied to the mortgage she obtained on her Norfolk home
1 hour ago
Fred Fleitz said the Trump administration's pressure campaign is so severe that it could ultimately push the Venezuelan president from power
1 hour ago
Traffic reportedly surged nationwide between 10 am and 2 pm local time, with $12.5 million flowing through online carts each minute
1 hour ago
Supporters celebrated the bold move by Idaho’s Old State Saloon, while critics accused it of encouraging vigilante-style behavior
1 hour ago
Nancy Mace hoped Trump and his administration would hold leftists accountable for propagating the rhetoric
1 hour ago
Jim Acosta expressed his disgust over President Donald Trump calling Bloomberg reporter Catherine Lucey 'quiet, piggy' earlier this month
1 hour ago
According to prosecutors, Rahmanullah Lakanwal drove from Bellingham in Washington state to Washington, DC, before the attack
2 hours ago
The site went offline after a news outlet disputed a false claim that one of its reporters asked questions at a recent press briefing
2 hours ago
According to officials, the shooting at the Stockton birthday party left at least four people dead and 10 others injured
2 hours ago