Trump calls former Prince Andrew’s arrest ‘very sad’ as UK police's Epstein case probe persists
WASHINGTON, DC: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on Thursday, February 19, on suspicion of misconduct in public office, British police confirmed.
Thames Valley Police said former Prince Andrew, arrested earlier in the day, has neither been charged nor exonerated as inquiries continue.
The arrest is connected to ongoing scrutiny surrounding documents related to the crimes of disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein. President Donald Trump reacted to the development, calling it “very sad.”
Trump calls former Prince Andrew's arrest ‘very sad’
Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One while traveling to Georgia, President Trump described the disgraced royal's arrest as “very sad.”
He said, “I think it’s a shame. I think it’s very sad. I think it’s so bad for the royal family. It's a very, very sad, to me, it's a very sad thing when I see that.”
.@POTUS on Former Prince Andrew: "I think it's a shame... I think it's so bad for the Royal Family." pic.twitter.com/5JDYYb2x3J
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) February 19, 2026
Trump also commented on his own past association with Epstein, emphasizing that he has not been charged in connection with the late financier’s crimes.
“I’m the one that can talk about it, because I’ve been totally exonerated. I did nothing,” Trump said.
He further added, “I’ve been totally exonerated. I did nothing, in fact, the opposite. He was against me. He was fighting me in the election which I just found out throughout the last three million pages of documents.”
Trump noted that King Charles III is expected to visit the United States in the coming months and described the British monarch as “a fantastic man.”
The president previously made a state visit to the United Kingdom, where he attended a state dinner at Windsor Castle.
The Justice Department’s recent document release included emails involving Epstein and others, including author Michael Wolff. Trump has publicly threatened legal action against Wolff and Epstein’s estate, alleging efforts to damage his reputation.
Police confirm release as investigation continues
In a statement, Thames Valley Police said a man arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office “has now been released under investigation.”
Under British legal procedures, release under investigation means the individual has not been formally charged and remains subject to ongoing inquiries.
Police confirmed that searches conducted in Norfolk, where the former Prince currently resides, have concluded, while searches in Berkshire remain ongoing.
“Thames Valley Police will not be making any further statement at this time and will not be holding a press conference or conducting any media interviews in relation to this investigation,” the statement added.
Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested at approximately 8 am local time and was later seen leaving Aylsham Police Station in Norfolk, about 50 miles from the Sandringham Estate, where he now lives.
The arrest stems from allegations tied to correspondence with Epstein during Mountbatten-Windsor’s tenure as a British trade envoy. The development follows the recent release of US Justice Department documents related to Epstein crimes. If charged and convicted of misconduct in public office, he could face significant penalties under UK law.