Trump cancels Greenland tariffs after striking Arctic deal framework

President withdraws threats against European allies after Arctic security deal with NATO’s Rutte
Trump announced the breakthrough on Truth Social, calming markets after earlier threatening 'excessive strength' to acquire the territory (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Trump announced the breakthrough on Truth Social, calming markets after earlier threatening 'excessive strength' to acquire the territory (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

DAVOS, SWITZERLAND: On Wednesday, January 21, Donald Trump announced that he is withdrawing his planned tariff threat against European allies over Greenland, following what he described as an agreement in principle with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte on Arctic security.

Posted on Truth Social, the reversal removes Trump's February 1 deadline for trade penalties, signaling a sharp de-escalation after hours of tension that strained trans-Atlantic relations.

Framework agreement halts February tariff threat



Trump said he and Rutte had agreed on “the framework of a future deal” centered on the Arctic, a region the President has repeatedly described as vital to US national security.

The announcement came shortly after Trump’s address at the World Economic Forum. While details of the framework were not disclosed, the President framed the outcome as a breakthrough following direct talks with NATO leadership.

Trump has frequently used tariff threats as leverage in negotiations. In April, he similarly reversed course after warning of sweeping global tariffs, later saying, “It’s called negotiation.” The Greenland dispute followed a similar arc, with economic pressure giving way to talks.

Military force option officially off table



Earlier in the day, Trump softened his stance during his Davos speech, saying he still wants “Greenland, including right, title and ownership,” but ruling out the use of force.

“We probably won’t get anything unless I decide to use excessive strength and force, where we would be frankly unstoppable. But I won’t do that, OK?” Trump said. “I don’t have to. I don’t want to use force.”

He described Greenland as “cold and poorly located,” calling the demand “a very small ask compared to what we have given them for many, many decades.”

Golden Dome talks continue for defense

Although the tariff threat has been dropped, Trump said talks will continue on Greenland and his proposed “Golden Dome” missile defense system.

He added that more details would follow as discussions advance. US markets, which had wobbled amid earlier uncertainty, stabilized after Trump confirmed he would not pursue the territory by force.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
21 hours ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
23 hours ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
1 day ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026