US shuts embassies after Iran drone strike targets Riyadh embassy

Mike Huckabee says US officials cannot directly assist Americans leaving Israel amid unrest
US embassies in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait ordered shut after Iranian drones target US assets in Riyadh (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)
US embassies in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait ordered shut after Iranian drones target US assets in Riyadh (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

WASHINGTON, DC: The United States has closed its embassies in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait after drone strikes and escalating regional tensions following the joint US-Israeli bombardment of Iran.

The closures ordered on Monday, March 2, come amid retaliatory attacks by Tehran targeting American assets and regional allies.

The embassy in Riyadh issued a shelter-in-place order after Saudi Arabia’s defense ministry confirmed the diplomatic compound was struck by drones.

The US Embassy in Kuwait also announced it would shut down operations “until further notice,” citing ongoing security concerns.



Embassies close as retaliation intensifies

In a statement posted to X, the US Embassy in Riyadh cited a drone “attack on the facility” as the reason for its closure.



Meanwhile, the US Embassy in Kuwait said, “Due to ongoing regional tensions, the US Embassy in Kuwait will be closed until further notice.”

“We have canceled all regular and emergency consular appointments. We will communicate when the embassy returns to normal operations,” the statement added.

The US Embassy in Amman, Jordan, also evacuated all personnel on Monday “due to a threat,” underscoring the widening security concerns across the region.

Iran has reportedly launched a barrage of strikes aimed at Gulf states that host US military bases. While many of the projectiles have been intercepted, the continued exchanges have heightened fears of broader regional conflict.



Rising casualties and regional alarm

The crisis erupted after a joint US-Israeli strike inside Iran on Saturday that reportedly killed Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, a development that has jolted the region and intensified fears of a broader Middle East war.

Iranian authorities say the attacks have been devastating. The Iranian Red Crescent Society reported that at least 787 people have been killed in US and Israeli airstrikes so far, though those figures have not been independently confirmed.



In Jerusalem, US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee said officials are unable to directly assist Americans trying to depart amid the instability, advising them instead to “remain calm and take shelter” as cross-border strikes continue.



In response to the deteriorating security situation, US embassies across the region have urged American citizens to leave immediately.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
1 day ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
1 day ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
1 day ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026