Trump says he rejected Iran's overtures for talks after US–Israel strikes: 'Too late'

Earlier, Trump had said that he had agreed to speak with Tehran’s new leadership team, saying, 'They want to talk, and I have agreed to talk'
President Trump rejected new talks with Iran, citing the total destruction of their military defenses and leadership following the start of Operation Epic Fury (Getty Images)
President Trump rejected new talks with Iran, citing the total destruction of their military defenses and leadership following the start of Operation Epic Fury (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday, March 3, that he has rejected an offer for dialogue from what remains of Iran’s ruling theocracy, declaring it is now "too late" for talks.

This marks a definitive shift from his position on Sunday, March 1, when he indicated a willingness to speak with interim Iranian leadership following the joint US–Israeli strikes that eliminated Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

The President used his Truth Social platform to confirm the change in posture, asserting that the Iranian regime’s ability to negotiate from a position of strength has been neutralized.

"Their air defense, Air Force, Navy, and Leadership is gone," Trump posted, signaling that the military objectives of the campaign have moved beyond the need for immediate diplomacy.



Trumps makes U-turn from diplomatic openness stand

Only two days ago, President Trump told The Atlantic that he had agreed to speak with Tehran’s new leadership team, which includes President Masoud Pezeshkian and head of the judiciary Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Eje’i.

During that interview, Trump stated, "They want to talk, and I have agreed to talk".

The President had previously criticized the regime for waiting "too long" to engage in practical negotiations before the launch of Operation Epic Fury.

However, the latest declaration indicates that the window for any such "practical" deal has now closed as the US continues to carry out large-scale combat operations intended to permanently dismantle the regime’s nuclear and missile capabilities.

Decimation of Iranian military infrastructure

MOSCOW, RUSSIA - JANUARY 17 (RUSSIA OUT) Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian speaks during Russian-Iranian meeting at the Grand Kremlin Palace, January 17, 2025, in Moscow, Russia. Pezeshkian arrived to Moscow for a treaty signing with Putin. (Photo by Contributor/Getty Images)
Iran’s interim leadership team requested dialogue following the death of the Supreme Leader (Contributor/Getty Images)

The administration’s "too late" stance is grounded in the success of US and Israeli strikes against Iranian high-value targets.

Beyond the death of Khamenei, the military has confirmed the elimination of Ali Shamkhani, leader of the national defense council, and Mohammad Pakpour, head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

General Dan Caine, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, reported that these strikes have secured "local air superiority," allowing the US to protect its personnel while continuing to destroy Iranian missile mounts and naval assets.

Trump’s latest update suggests that the degradation of these defenses, specifically the air force and navy, has progressed to a point where the administration no longer views the regime as a viable partner for talks.

High American and regional costs

(x/@CENTCOM)
U.S. forces secured air superiority to continue the systematic destruction of regime missile mounts. (x/@CENTCOM)

The swift change in policy towards Iran has come amid rising casualties on both sides of the conflict.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) has confirmed that four American service members have died in action, with several others sustaining serious injuries or concussions during the ongoing offensive.

On the ground in Iran, the Red Crescent has reported at least 200 fatalities since the mission began early morning on Saturday, February 28.

Despite the heavy toll and the reported interception of "hundreds of ballistic missiles" targeting US assets, the President has vowed to continue the mission with "unyielding resolve" until the threat from the terrorist regime is crushed.

Congressional dissent over Trump's war powers

People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026 (AP Photo)
'Operation Epic Fury' has focused on annihilating the Iranian Navy and eliminating nuclear-shielding missile programs (AP Photo)

While the President maintains a "no abort" order on the battlefield, he faces significant opposition within the halls of Congress.

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries and Representative Ro Khanna have slammed the administration for failing to provide adequate justification for the strikes, characterizing the conflict as an "unnecessary war".

Critics argue that by bypassing Article I of the Constitution, which grants Congress the authority to declare war, the President is acting like a "king".

Lawmakers are currently preparing to force a vote on a War Powers Resolution to restrict further military action, even as the President declares that the regime's leadership is "gone" and the mission is "substantially ahead" of projections.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
25 minutes ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
1 hour ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
7 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
7 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
7 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
8 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
9 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
9 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
10 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
11 hours ago