Trump denies seeking $230M from his own DOJ, says ‘I’d give it to charity’

Donald Trump dismissed reports that he sought $230 million from the Justice Department, saying any owed money would go to charity
PUBLISHED OCT 22, 2025
Donald Trump addressed reporters in the Oval Office after denying reports he sought $230M from the DOJ (Getty Images)
Donald Trump addressed reporters in the Oval Office after denying reports he sought $230M from the DOJ (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump denied a New York Times report claiming he sought $230 million from taxpayers.

The report, citing anonymous sources, alleged that Trump was demanding the money from the Department of Justice in response to its investigations into him. He addressed the claim after a reporter questioned him on October 21 in the Oval Office.

Donald Trump says, ‘I don’t get any compensation'

When asked about the New York Times report alleging he sought compensation from the Justice Department, Trump firmly denied it, calling the story baseless.

A reporter asked, “Are you asking the Justice Department to pay you compensation?” Trump interrupted, “Whose compensation?” When the reporter clarified, “For the federal investigations into you,” Trump appeared confused or caught off guard.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 21: U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks during a luncheon in the Rose Garden of the White House on October 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Trump hosted the
Donald Trump spoke at a White House luncheon in the Rose Garden in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

“Into me?” he asked, before the reporter repeated the question: “Are you asking them to pay compensation, and how much?”

Trump replied, “I don’t get any compensation. I do it for nothing. I gave up my salary.” He added, “Well, I guess they probably owe me a lot of money for that, probably. That’s true. That’s very interesting. No, I get no salary. I gave up my salary.”

Reflecting on his decision to forgo his presidential salary, Trump continued, “It’s a good salary, not as much as these guys make, but that’s okay.”

He then added, “As far as all of the litigation and everything, yeah, they probably owe me a lot of money. But I’m not looking for money. I’d give it to charity or something.” Trump said that if he ever received funds from the government, he would “do something nice with it — give it to charity or give it to the White House, where we restore the White House.”

He also mentioned ongoing renovations, saying, “We’re doing a good job. As you know, the ballroom is under construction.” This referred to the $250 million East Wing reconstruction project, which began demolition on October 20.



What did The New York Times report about Trump?

US President Donald Trump speaks to the media as he departs the White House on July 15, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump is traveling to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to speak at an artificial intelligence and energy summit. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Donald Trump addressed the media before departing the White House for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

According to The New York Times, Trump has been pushing the Justice Department to pay him a $230 million settlement related to investigations conducted during both his presidency and the Biden administration.

The proposed settlement would likely require approval from senior Justice Department officials — some of whom previously represented Trump or his allies.

The report said the discussions stemmed from two administrative claims filed by Trump’s legal team in 2023 and 2024. One claim sought damages related to the investigation into alleged ties between Trump’s 2016 campaign and the Russian government.

The second claim, publicly reported in 2024, accused then–Special Counsel Jack Smith of malicious prosecution and alleged that Trump’s privacy rights were violated when the FBI searched his Mar-a-Lago estate for classified documents in August 2022.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
7 hours ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
10 hours ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
15 hours ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
17 hours ago
Congressional candidate Clay Fuller mentioned that his daughter, Tallulah, had received detention for missing school to attend the rally
17 hours ago
Nevada County authorities confirmed that eight people died, while a ninth person remained missing and was presumed dead
17 hours ago
Performance highlighted fatal Minneapolis shootings by federal agents and used dance to draw attention to the deaths of Good and Pretti
19 hours ago
Sonora authorities said that no formal collaboration request had been received, though they remained open to cooperating through established channels
1 day ago
The Commission of Fine Arts approved the $400 million project in a 6–0 vote, with one recusal, advancing plans for a major East Wing expansion
1 day ago
'There's so much more that needs to be done here. I'm hoping they conduct a full investigation and there's a conviction', Sky Roberts said
1 day ago