Trump hints new 'Board of Peace' may outgrow Gaza mission, threaten UN role

Donald Trump argued that the UN had failed to meet its potential, saying, 'The UN should have settled every one of the wars that I settled'
President Donald Trump's Special Envoy Steve Witkoff said more than 20 world leaders had already accepted invitations to join the 'Board of Peace' (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump's Special Envoy Steve Witkoff said more than 20 world leaders had already accepted invitations to join the 'Board of Peace' (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

DAVOS, SWITZERLAND: President Donald Trump added fresh momentum to speculation that his newly created ‘Board of Peace’ could one day rival the United Nations as a global conflict arbiter.

Speaking during a bilateral meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi at the World Economic Forum on Wednesday, January 21, Trump suggested that the board’s work in Gaza was only the opening chapter of a broader international mission.

"It started with Gaza," Trump said in a remark that quickly drew notice among diplomats. The comment indicated that the body - chaired by Trump and tasked with overseeing a technocratic interim government in the enclave - was intended to extend far beyond the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Trump calls the Board of Peace 'most prestigious’



Trump’s comment to Sisi reflected a wider effort to frame the board as a standing institution on the world stage. By saying that the project “started” with Gaza, he seemingly implied that the framework being assembled could be applied to other geopolitical flashpoints.

"It’s going to be the most prestigious board ever formed," Trump said of the body. The vision aligned with his preference for building new coalitions over relying on existing international structures, which he had long criticized as ineffective.

Trump claims 'the UN just hasn’t been very helpful'



The scope of that ambition became clearer in remarks Trump made to reporters before arriving in Davos. When asked whether the board could replace the UN’s central mediation role, he did not dismiss the idea.

"Well, it might. The UN just hasn’t been very helpful," Trump said. "I’m a big fan of the UN's potential, but it has never lived up to its potential. The UN should have settled every one of the wars that I settled."

The comments signaled that the Board of Peace was being positioned not merely as a complementary institution to the UN, but as an alternative mechanism for global dispute resolution.

Global leaders clamor for 'Board of Peace' seats

US President Donald Trump (R) and Russian President Vladimir Putin (L) meet during a US-Russia summit on Ukraine at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage, Alaska, on August 15, 2025. (Photo by ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS / AFP) (Photo by ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP via Getty Images)
President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin meet during a US-Russia summit on Ukraine at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage, Alaska, on August 15, 2025 (ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP via Getty Images)

Trump said interest in joining the board had surged despite its exclusivity. "I have a little bit of the opposite problem: People want to be on it. We didn’t ask them. They want to get on," he told reporters.

While noting that some governments required parliamentary approval, Trump said demand remained high. "For the most part, everybody wants to be on it," he said, describing the influx as evidence of the board’s stature.

Billion dollar price for membership

US Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff delivers remarks during the swearing in ceremony for interim US Attorney for Washington, DC, Jeanine Pirro in the Oval Office of the White House on May 28, 2025, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Envoy Steve Witkoff confirmed that over 20 leaders had accepted positions, with countries like Canada and the UAE already on board (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

A permanent seat on the board carried a requested contribution of $1 billion, a threshold that had not dampened interest. Trump’s Special Envoy Steve Witkoff told CNBC that "we have north of 20, maybe 25 world leaders who have already accepted" invitations.

The full roster has not been released, but several countries have confirmed their participation, including Azerbaijan, Belarus, Canada, Egypt, Hungary, Israel, Kosovo, Morocco, and the United Arab Emirates.

The emerging lineup reflected a broad coalition of governments aligning with Trump’s new diplomatic vehicle.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
21 hours ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
23 hours ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
1 day ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026