Trump invites families of National Guard members shot in DC attack to White House

Donald Trump said he has told the families of Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe to come to the White House whenever they’re ready
Donald Trump said he has spoken with the families of Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe (Getty Images, Screengrabs/@Bubblebathgirl, @DigitalGalX/X)
Donald Trump said he has spoken with the families of Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe (Getty Images, Screengrabs/@Bubblebathgirl, @DigitalGalX/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump said on Sunday, November 30, that he has invited the families of the two West Virginia National Guard members who were shot in Washington, DC, last week to visit the White House.

Trump also emphasised that he had spoken with the parents of 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom, who succumbed to her injuries a day after the attack. Beckstrom's fellow service member, 24-year-old Sgt Andrew Wolfe, remains in critical condition.

The president described the conversations he had with Beckstrom's family as heartbreaking and said he hopes to "honor both families when they feel ready." The shooting has sparked an outpouring of grief across West Virginia, with vigils held throughout the weekend. 



Trump plans to honor Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe

Trump told reporters that he has discussed arranging a White House visit for the parents of both Beckstrom and Wolfe, underscoring the emotional devastation the families are facing. Trump said, "When you're ready, because that's a tough thing, come to the White House. We're going to honor Sarah and likewise with Andrew, recover or not."

Beckstrom, who grew up in Summersville and graduated from Webster County High School in 2023, had enlisted soon after finishing school and was serving as a military police officer. Vigils held over the weekend drew classmates, teachers, and community members who remembered her as compassionate and steady. 

National Guardwoman Sarah Beckstrom succumbed to her injuries on Thursday, November 27, 2025. (Sarah Beckstrom/Facebook)
National Guardwoman Sarah Beckstrom succumbed to her injuries on Thursday, November 27, a day after the attack (Sarah Beckstrom/Facebook)

"Sarah was the kind of student that teachers hoped for. She carried herself with quiet strength, a contagious smile and a positive energy that lifted people around her," Jarrod Hankins, her former principal, told the Associated Press. "She was sweet, caring and always willing to help others." Funeral arrangements for Beckstrom are still being finalised. 

Authorities have since identified a 29-year-old Afghan national, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, as the suspected shooter. He faces a first-degree murder charge and two counts of assault with intent to kill while armed. 

Rahmanullah Lakanwal struggled for years with the violence he committed as part of a CIA-backed “Zero Unit” force in his home country(DHS/Twitter)
Rahmanullah Lakanwal was identified as the shooting suspect in the DC attack (DHS/X)

In the wake of the attack, the Trump administration temporarily halted asylum processing and stopped issuing visas to individuals with Afghan passports

Andrew Wolfe is 'fighting for his life'

Wolfe, a Martinsburg native and 2019 graduate of Musselman High School, began his service in February 2019 and was deployed alongside Beckstrom as part of Trump's federal initiative to bolster policing efforts in Washington, DC. He remains hospitalized in critical condition.

West Virginia Governor Patrick Morrisey said on Fox News Channel's 'The Sunday Briefing' that Wolfe is "fighting for his life," adding that support has been pouring in from across the state. 

Wolfe remains in critical condition after attack near Farragut West Metro Station.(Screengrab/@Bubblebathgirl/X)
Andrew Wolfe was one of the two National Guardsmen injured in the attack near Farragut West Metro Station (Screengrab/@Bubblebathgirl/X)

Attorney General Pam Bondi also said that she plans to meet with Wolfe's family in the coming days. 

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA - JULY 15: U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi speaks during a news conference at the DEA headquarters on July 15, 2025 in Arlington, Virginia. The Department of Justice and the Drug Enforcement Administration held a news conference to announce that 71 kilograms of fentanyl and 20 kilograms of methamphetamine were seized in South Carolina as part of the “Operation Take Back America” initiative. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Attorney General Pam Bondi speaks during a news conference at the DEA headquarters on July 15, 2025, in Arlington, Virginia (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

At the weekend Vigil, Morrisey emphasized the impact Beckstrom had already made during her service. "She had a lot of kindness and she certainly had courage," he said. "Through her life lasted far too short, she has left a mark that's going to last forever." 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Tiffany Trump, Michael Boulos, and Tiger Woods attended Kai Trump’s graduation ceremony to support her in Florida
1 hour ago
Trump’s post came as Rachel Campos-Duffy accompanied her husband, Sean Duffy, to cover the Rededicate 250 event
3 hours ago
A White House post is the latest example of the much-controversial pattern followed by Trump’s second-term communications team
5 hours ago
Javier Bardem warned about growing media monopolies and said social media’s influence on young people is 'very dangerous'
5 hours ago
The Mountain Home Air Force Base went into a lockdown after the fiery crash with rest of the two-day air show getting canceled
6 hours ago
Eric Metaxas told a DC prayer gathering Donald Trump’s ballroom plan reflects divine purpose amid faith-themed speeches.
6 hours ago
Donald Trump shared another AI image showing himself at a futuristic space command center with a 'target destroyed' mushroom cloud display
7 hours ago
Taiwan Strait tensions may hit markets and restrict access to next-gen AI processors
17 hours ago
Donald Trump said the scope of the project had been expanded to improve both longevity and visual appeal
23 hours ago
Trump shared photos of the renovated walkway just days after calling parts of the White House rundown and neglected
23 hours ago