Trump lashes out at Israel over airstrike on 'strong ally' Qatar in heated call to Netanyahu

Donald Trump claimed on Truth Social that US military officials had warned him of the strike, but the notice arrived 'too late to stop the attack'
President Donald Trump held a direct call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to express his disapproval (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump held a direct call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to express his disapproval (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump sharply criticized Israel on Tuesday, September 9, for launching an airstrike inside Qatar, a close US ally, while still reaffirming America’s commitment to eliminating Hamas.

On Tuesday, Trump claimed on Truth Social that US military officials informed him Israel had launched strikes against Hamas in Doha, but that the warning came “too late to stop the attack.”



 

Donald Trump rebukes Israel over strike in Qatar

“This was a decision made by (Israel's) Prime Minister Netanyahu, it was not a decision made by me,” he said, while also describing Qatar as a “strong ally and friend.”

“Unilaterally bombing inside Qatar, a sovereign nation and close ally of the United States that is working very hard and bravely taking risks with us to broker peace, does not advance Israel or America’s goals,” Trump wrote. “However, eliminating Hamas, who have profited off the misery of those living in Gaza, is a worthy goal.”

The incident unfolded just as Hamas officials were meeting in Doha to weigh a new US-backed ceasefire plan for Gaza.

The administration acknowledged it had received advance notice of Israel’s plan and dispatched diplomatic envoy Steve Witkoff to alert Qatari officials. But according to Foreign Ministry spokesperson Majed al-Ansari, the warning reached Doha only after the strikes had already begun.



 

Later, Trump voiced frustration over the incident, telling reporters he was “very unhappy about the way that it went down” and admitted he was “not thrilled about the whole situation.”

Trump reportedly held direct calls with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu following the attack, telling him in blunt terms that he disapproved of the move.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said the president “made his thoughts and concerns very clear.” 

“The president views Qatar as a strong ally and friend of the United States, and feels very badly about the location of this attack,” Leavitt said. “The president also spoke to the emir and prime minister of Qatar and thanked them for their support and friendship to our country. He assured them that such a thing will not happen again on their soil.”

Escalation threatens ceasefire talks

The strike in Doha represents a major escalation in Israel’s war against Hamas, which is approaching its two-year mark since the October 7, 2023, assault that killed roughly 1,200 Israelis and saw more than 250 people taken hostage.

Israel has previously targeted Hamas leaders in Lebanon and elsewhere, but hitting political figures on Qatari soil risks upending fragile negotiations. Hamas has endured repeated assassinations of senior figures yet continues to function in Gaza and abroad.



 

Meanwhile, the humanitarian toll in Gaza has mounted: over 64,000 Palestinians, the majority women and children, have died since the conflict began, with famine conditions killing at least 376 people, according to the Gaza Health Ministry.

Qatar has lodged a formal protest with the United Nations, with its UN envoy Sheikha Alya Ahmed bin Saif Al Thani pledging a full investigation. “Qatar will not tolerate this aggressive Israeli behavior that undermines regional security, and will not accept any action targeting its security and sovereignty,” her letter declared.

JD Vance sides with Donald Trump in criticism of Israel’s strike in Qatar

Speaking in a pre-taped interview with One America News Network host Matt Gaetz, Vice President JD Vance confirmed that Trump viewed the attack as a misstep.

“The president made very clear today that he’s not happy about that – we just left the Oval Office and spoke about that,” Vance said. “You saw Karoline Leavitt, our great White House press secretary, talk about this – he doesn’t think this serves Israel’s interests or the United States’ interests, and so he’s not happy about it, but we’re going to keep on working for peace despite it.”

The remarks followed comments earlier in the day from White House Press Secretary, who labeled the strike an “unfortunate incident” that undermined peace efforts. 

“A couple of very bad guys from Hamas” were taken out, he said, before adding that the US still viewed the operation as strategically unwise.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump's first face-to-face with several G7 leaders since Iran conflict escalated
3 hours ago
On May 14, CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana with President Donald Trump's message linking US engagement to reforms in Cuba
1 day ago
State-linked Iranian media claimed Washington offered a counterproposal easing some oil sanctions during negotiations
2 days ago
Iranian President Masoud President Pezeshkian acknowledged losses from US strikes on Iran and urged officials to avoid rhetoric that fuels division
2 days ago
Tehran says it is coordinating with Muscat to ensure safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz
2 days ago
Iran’s truce proposal called for ending regional conflicts and lifting all economic and maritime restrictions imposed during the war
2 days ago
Report says Trump to speak with Netanyahu as he grows frustrated with Iran’s peace terms
3 days ago
Grafstrom says Istanbul talks focused on ensuring Iran’s smooth World Cup participation
3 days ago
Alex Saab, once powerful under Nicolas Maduro, lost his government roles and influence after Maduro was removed from power
3 days ago
Pope reportedly concerned about AI-generated misinformation and erosion of trust in truth
3 days ago