Trump pulls out of Don Jr's Bahamas wedding: 'This is not good timing for me'

'He'd (Don Jr) like me to go, but it's going to be just a small, little private affair, and I'm going to try and make it', Trump had said on Thursday
President Donald Trump confirmed that he will skip his son, Donald Trump Jr's wedding, citing government duties and Iran tensions (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump confirmed that he will skip his son, Donald Trump Jr's wedding, citing government duties and Iran tensions (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump has confirmed that he will not attend his son Donald Trump Jr’s wedding, saying he must remain in Washington due to government responsibilities and ongoing international tensions. 

The announcement was made through a post on Truth Social on Friday, May 22, where Trump framed the decision as one driven by national duty rather than personal choice.

The wedding, set to take place in the Bahamas, had been uncertain in Trump’s schedule for several days, with the president himself previously suggesting he was unsure whether he could attend.



Trump says his 'love' for the US won't allow him to leave

In his official statement, Trump directly addressed both his son and his future daughter-in-law while explaining his absence.

“While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr, and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,” Trump wrote.

He added that his decision was tied to ongoing responsibilities at the White House, stating, “I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, DC, at the White House during this important period of time.”



Trump ended the message on a personal note, writing, “Congratulations to Don and Bettina!”

Trump prioritizes 'a thing called Iran'

Before the final decision was made public, Trump had already signaled uncertainty when asked about attending the ceremony.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, he said, “He’d like me to go, but it’s going to be just a small, little private affair, and I’m going to try and make it.”

He added that the timing created complications, saying, “This is not good timing for me. I have a thing called Iran and other things.”

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - MARCH 15: (L-R) Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson attend amfAR Palm Beach Gala on March 15, 2025 in Palm Beach, Florida. (Photo by Mireya Acierto/Getty Images for amfAR)
Donald Trump Jr and Bettina Anderson attend amfAR Palm Beach Gala on March 15, 2025, in Palm Beach, Florida (Mireya Acierto/Getty Images for amfAR)

Trump also acknowledged the political fallout he believed would come regardless of his decision, stating, “That’s one I can’t win on. If I do attend, I get killed. If I don’t attend, I get killed by the fake news, of course, I’m talking about.”

He then spoke about his son, adding, “He’s got a very.. a person who I’ve known for a long time, and hopefully they’re going to have a great marriage.”

Donald Trump Jr’s wedding to Bettina Anderson has been described as a private ceremony planned for close family and friends in the Bahamas.

President Donald Trump and Donald Trump Jr. walk on the South Lawn upon their arrival to the White House, Sunday, May 3, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)
President Donald Trump and Donald Trump Jr walk on the South Lawn upon their arrival at the White House, Sunday, May 3, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

The event comes at a time when the president’s schedule has been dominated by domestic and foreign policy pressures, particularly rising tensions involving Iran.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Kamala Harris refuses to rule out 2028 White House run amid Democratic concerns
58 minutes ago
Lukas, a senior intelligence figure, is to maintain continuity during leadership change
1 hour ago
In her letter, she thanks colleagues and cites personal and family reasons for stepping down
3 hours ago
The controversy centered on a series of old Reddit posts linked to the username 'P-Hustle', an account Dem Senate candidate Platner admitted owning
4 hours ago
DCCC spends $35K in intervention ad push ahead of critical primary runoff
4 hours ago
'We all would love to see an agreement with Iran in which the straits are open, and they abandon their nuclear ambitions', Marco Rubio said
5 hours ago
Trump erupts after Thom Tillis criticizes $1.776B ‘anti-weaponization fund’
5 hours ago
EU enacts emergency sanctions framework with asset freezes, travel bans on trade disruptors
5 hours ago
Secretary of State Marco Rubio urged allies to prepare backup plans for a long maritime crisis if diplomacy failed to end Iran's blockade
6 hours ago
Trump’s Poland troop announcement adds to confusion over US military posture in Europe
11 hours ago