Trump says he ‘aced’ cognitive exams three times, calls for mandatory testing for candidates

Trump slammed former presidents Barack Obama and Joe Biden, suggesting that stricter cognitive requirements could have changed past election results
In a Truth Social post on April 30, President Donald Trump argued that requiring such exams before entering the race would improve leadership standards (Getty Images)
In a Truth Social post on April 30, President Donald Trump argued that requiring such exams before entering the race would improve leadership standards (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Donald Trump is once again putting his mental fitness front and center, boasting that he “aced” multiple cognitive exams while calling for mandatory testing for future presidential candidates.

The president made the remarks in a Truth Social post on Thursday, April 30, in the afternoon, where he not only defended his own cognitive abilities but also aimed at past leaders.



Donald Trump claims he ‘aced’ cognitive exams three times

In his post, Trump made a bold claim about his past medical evaluations.

“Anybody running for President or Vice President should be forced to take a Cognitive Examination prior to entering the Race!” he wrote.

He then pointed to his own record, adding, “I took the Exam three times during my (‘three!’) Terms as President, and aced it all three times — An Achievement that, even on a single Exam, according to the Doctors, has rarely been done before!”

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 30: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during an executive order signing in the Oval Office of the White House on April 30, 2026 in Washington, DC. President Trump signed multiple executive orders including one to expand retirement account access for workers. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
US President Donald Trump speaks during an executive order signing in the Oval Office of the White House on April 30, 2026 in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

Trump framed the exams as a benchmark for leadership, suggesting that similar requirements could prevent what he sees as poor leadership outcomes.

The post also included direct criticism of former presidents Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

“By doing so, we wouldn’t be surprised at people like Barack ‘Hussein’ Obama, or Sleepy Joe Biden, getting ‘elected.’ Our Country would be a much better place!” Trump wrote.

The comments reflect Trump’s ongoing pattern of attacking political opponents while defending his own record, especially on issues tied to leadership and capability.

Comments revive ‘three terms’ rhetoric and past remarks

Trump’s reference to taking the exam during his “three” terms also drew attention, echoing comments he made earlier in April 2025.

At the time, he suggested he had effectively served three terms, despite the constitutional two-term limit. “Well, we actually already served three, if you count,” Trump said during that earlier appearance. 

President Donald Trump speaks during an event on health care affordability in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, April 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump speaks during an event on health care affordability in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, April 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

He said, “But remember, I like the victories, I like the three victories which we absolutely had. I just don’t like the results of the middle term.”

Those remarks sparked debate at the time, and his latest post has brought that rhetoric back into focus.

Democrats push for mental fitness review amid scrutiny

Trump’s mental acuity has become a point of political debate in recent months, with some Democrats calling for a formal evaluation.

On April 14, a group of 50 House Democrats, led by Representative Jamie Raskin, backed a proposal that would allow for the creation of a commission to assess the president’s mental fitness under the 25th Amendment.



Raskin also sent a letter requesting that the physician to the president conduct a “comprehensive neuropsychological assessment.”

In the letter, he pointed to what he described as “incoherent, volatile, profane, deranged, and threatening” comments, arguing that they could be consistent with signs of “dementia and cognitive decline.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump described the suspect as someone with a 'violent history' and an 'obsession' with the White House
1 hour ago
Mike Johnson expressed optimism about the development, calling it a sign of strong leadership and saying the US is now more secure under Trump
1 hour ago
The fund was unveiled last week after President Trump announced he would withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS
1 hour ago
Ted Cruz warned that a deal allowing Tehran access to funds or nuclear development could strengthen a hostile regime
2 hours ago
Former Kamala Harris aides reportedly dismissed a 2028 run, with one adviser calling it 'obviously a bad idea'
2 hours ago
Robert Gevertzman, who died in March 2025 at 75, landed the Democratic ticket for next month’s primaries
2 hours ago
RFK Jr called the move 'sinister', questioning why the agency had not fully released the records despite a 1992 law mandating their disclosure by 2025
3 hours ago
White House shooting drew bipartisan condemnation as officials praised Secret Service response
3 hours ago
Lindsey Graham warned an Iran deal could make Tehran appear stronger if it still threatens Gulf oil infrastructure
4 hours ago
The proposed framework could start fresh negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program
5 hours ago