Trump says Kamala Harris' ‘60 Minutes’ interview caused him ‘mental anguish’ as he snubs $15M settlement

Donald Trump has rejected a $15M settlement and demanded more than $25M along with an apology from the network
Donald Trump's team made new allegations regarding CBS' ‘60 Minutes’ interview with Kamala Harris (Getty Images and YouTube/60 Minutes)
Donald Trump's team made new allegations regarding CBS' ‘60 Minutes’ interview with Kamala Harris (Getty Images and YouTube/60 Minutes)

WASHINGTON, DC: Lawyers of Donald Trump have now reportedly claimed that the president suffered from “mental anguish” due to a CBS News '60 Minutes' interview with ex-Vice President Kamala Harris in October 2024, ahead of last year’s presidential election.

In court documents filed on Wednesday, May 28, Trump’s legal team made the allegation after Paramount Global’s request to dismiss his October lawsuit against CBS over the alleged deceitful editing of the interview, as reported by HuffPost.

Paramount Global owns CBS.



 

Donald Trump alleges Kamala Harris’ interview caused ‘widespread confusion and mental anguish’

In his earlier lawsuit, the Republican leader had accused CBS of “partisan and unlawful acts of election and voter interference through malicious, deceptive, and substantial news distortion.”

Now, the new suit alleged that Harris’ interview was slyly edited, which resulted in “widespread confusion and mental anguish of consumers, including Plaintiffs, regarding a household name of the legacy media apparently deceptively distorting its broadcasts, and then resisting attempts to clear the public record.”

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 25: U.S. President Donald walks on the the south lawn of the White House on May 25, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump addressed West Point military graduates in New York state Saturday afternoon and spent time at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey. (Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)
President Donald walks on the south lawn of the White House on May 25, 2025, in Washington, DC (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

The legal team further mentioned that Paramount and CBS “seek to wield the First Amendment as a sword, arguing that they cannot be held responsible for illegal conduct, intended to mislead the masses and undertaken in the pursuit of profit, because such conduct was the result of ‘editorial judgment.'”

“No matter how many times they claim the conduct at issue was editorial speech, that ipse dixit does not make it so,” the motion added, as per The Independent.

Donald Trump declines settlement worth $15 million 

This came as another report stated that Donald Trump refused to take a $15 million offer to settle his lawsuit against CBS News, Huffpost reported, citing The Wall Street Journal.

U.S. President Donald Trump walks towards Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House on March 28, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump is headed to Mar-a-lago in Palm Beach, Florida for the weekend. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump walks towards Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House on March 28, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump is headed to Mar-a-lago in Palm Beach, Florida for the weekend (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

He, instead, has demanded more than $25 million along with an apology from the network.

Besides, the commander-in-chief has threatened to file another legal suit against the television broadcaster.

CBS insists Kamala Harris' '60 Minutes' interview was not wrongfully edited

Meanwhile, earlier this year, CBS issued a statement, asserting that the interview was not wrongfully edited.

It said in February, “In reporting the news, journalists regularly edit interviews – for time, space or clarity. In making these edits, 60 Minutes is always guided by the truth and what we believe will be most informative to the viewing public – all while working within the constraints of broadcast television.”

“As the full transcript shows, we edited the interview to ensure that as much of the vice president's answers to 60 Minutes' many questions were included in our original broadcast while fairly representing those answers. 60 Minutes' hard-hitting questions of the vice president speak for themselves,” the network added.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Taking to X after the race was called, the California Democrat blasted what he described as attacks on Massie and argued the libertarian-minded Republican was punished for taking on powerful interests
24 minutes ago
The bipartisan praise highlighted how Massie’s brand of anti-establishment politics has attracted support beyond traditional Republican circles
53 minutes ago
Appearing on Hannity, Gallrein recounted a conversation he said changed the course of his campaign
1 hour ago
In a lengthy post on X after the results, Marjorie Taylor Greene hailed Thomas Massie as 'a giant among weak pathetic men'
1 hour ago
Michael Caputo said the FBI probes were ‘weaponized’ against his family as he filed $2.7M DOJ claim
1 hour ago
Speaking at his concession event in Hebron on May 19, Thomas Massie framed the loss as part of a larger purpose
1 hour ago
Thomas Massie criticized Donald Trump’s White House ballroom project, saying Americans are struggling while gas and diesel prices rise
2 hours ago
Ilhan Omar faced renewed scrutiny after revising financial disclosures tied to companies co-owned by partner Tim Mynett
3 hours ago
Massie also claimed that his opponents tried to use ‘a lot of dirty tricks’ throughout the race but said they remained persistent.
3 hours ago
Trump referred to Melania as a 'great first lady' and highlighted her popularity, including the success of her recent film
3 hours ago