Trump says National Guard shooting suspect ‘went cuckoo’ and blasts reporter as ‘stupid person’

President Donald Trump criticized Afghan refugee shooting suspect Rahmanullah Lakanwal as ‘cuckoo’ and lashed out at a reporter over vetting questions
PUBLISHED NOV 28, 2025
President Donald Trump criticized National Guard shooting suspect Rahmanullah Lakanwal and lashed out at a reporter (@ForbesBreakingNews/YouTube)
President Donald Trump criticized National Guard shooting suspect Rahmanullah Lakanwal and lashed out at a reporter (@ForbesBreakingNews/YouTube)


WASHINGTON, DC: Amid rising tensions after the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, which left one dead, President Donald Trump during a recent exchange with reporters described the suspect behind the attack as having “gone cuckoo” and called a reporter a “stupid person” for questions related to the incident.

Donald Trump says shooting suspect Rahmanullah Lakanwal ‘went cuckoo’

TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA - MAY 01: U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks to graduating students at the Coleman Coliseum at the University of Alabama on May 01, 2025 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Trump's remarks come the day before commencement ceremonies. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump thanked National Guard members during a Thanksgiving video call at the University of Alabama (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

After thanking half a dozen military units for their service during a Thanksgiving video call, Trump took questions from reporters and provided an update on the death of West Virginia National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who had been in critical condition at the hospital after being shot twice by the suspect on Wednesday afternoon. 

“He went cuckoo, he went nuts. And that happens too often with these people,” Trump said when a reporter highlighted suspect Rahmanullah Lakanwal’s ties to the CIA. “There was no vetting or anything. They came in unvetted. And we have a lot of others in this country. We’re going to get them out.”

Donald Trump calls reporter a ‘stupid person’ during questioning

President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media following a meeting with Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim ibn Hamad Al Thani and Prime Minister of Qatar Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani aboard Air Force One during a refueling stop at Al-Udeid Air Base on October 25, 2025 in Abu Nakhlah, Qatar.  (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump spoke to reporters after a meeting with Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim ibn Hamad Al Thani and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani aboard Air Force One (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

The president grew frustrated when a reporter insisted that Afghan refugees accepted into the US had been vetted.

“Are you a stupid person?” Trump fired back. “Because they came in on a plane along with thousands of other people that shouldn’t be here, and you’re just asking questions because you’re a stupid person.”

Lakanwal entered the US in September 2021 as part of former President Joe Biden’s Operation Allies Welcome. He overstayed his visa and was in the US illegally at the time of the attack. It was also revealed that he worked for the CIA as a member of a partner force in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Soon after the shooting, the Trump administration announced an immediate suspension of “processing of all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals” indefinitely, pending a review of vetting protocols.

Donald Trump calls for mass removal of immigrants who do not belong in the US

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN - AUGUST 8:  Afghan Afghan Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) applicants crowd into the
President Donald Trump claimed the last administration admitted 20 million unknown foreigners from around the world (Getty Images)

After the attack, Trump described the shooting as “a heinous assault … an act of evil, an act of hatred and an act of terror.”

He added, “We must take all necessary measures to ensure the removal of any alien from any country who does not belong here or add benefit to our country.” He also claimed, “The last administration let in 20 million unknown foreigners from all over the world.”

US Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro confirmed that Lakanwal will face murder charges, and Attorney General Pam Bondi said prosecutors would seek the death penalty.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump praises Team USA after first men's hockey gold in forty-six years historic win big
1 hour ago
Authorities said the 21-year-old entered a restricted zone near the north gate carrying what appeared to be a shotgun before officers opened fire
1 hour ago
'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
11 hours ago
Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
12 hours ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
13 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
14 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
1 day ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
1 day ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
1 day ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago