Trump says Secret Service agent was not hit by friendly fire at WHCA Dinner

Donald Trump and Secret Service say agent was shot by suspect, not friendly fire, as WHCD attack video surfaces.
President Trump
President Trump

WASHINGTON, DC: Donald Trump and top US security officials have pushed back against reports of friendly fire in the White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting, insisting that the injured Secret Service agent was shot directly by the suspect.

The clarification came on Thursday, April 30, after authorities released video footage of the incident, offering a clearer look at what unfolded during the chaotic moments at the high-profile event.

The shooting, which took place during Saturday’s dinner attended by journalists, administration officials, and other guests, has once again raised serious concerns about security at major public gatherings involving the president.



Donald Trump rejects friendly fire claims after video release

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, Trump dismissed suggestions that fellow officers may have accidentally shot the agent.

“They said it wasn’t friendly fire. It wasn’t us,” Trump said, directly addressing the reports that had circulated following the incident.

The comments came as video footage shared by top federal prosecutor Jeanine Pirro appeared to show the suspect, identified as 31-year-old Cole Tomas Allen, opening fire as he moved through a security checkpoint.



Pirro said the video shows the suspect shooting at the Secret Service officer while rushing toward the ballroom where the event was taking place.

Secret Service details ‘point-blank’ shooting during chaos

US Secret Service Director Sean Curran offered more details in a Thursday interview, describing the moment the agent was hit.

According to Curran, the officer was shot at “point-blank range” by Allen as he pushed through security barriers.



“Our officer heroically returned fire,” Curran said, noting that the agent fired five shots in response.

Despite the return fire, the suspect was not struck. Curran explained that Allen instead fell after hitting his knee before being quickly subdued by other federal agents near the staircase leading to the ballroom.

The injured agent, officials said, was wearing a bullet-resistant vest at the time of the attack.

Confusion remains after differences in court filings

While officials have now provided a clearer account, earlier court documents filed on Wednesday appeared to leave out key details.

Those filings referenced an officer firing five times but did not mention that any officer had been shot. They also did not accuse Allen of specifically targeting or hitting a Secret Service agent. 

Members of law enforcement control shooting suspect Cole Tomas Allen during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon) ADDITION: Adds name of shooting suspect after name shared by law enforcement officials
Members of law enforcement control shooting suspect Cole Tomas Allen during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

This information gap led to media reports suggesting the possibility of friendly fire, which Trump and security officials have now strongly denied.

Curran also defended the overall security setup at the venue, pushing back against criticism of the location.

“The site was set up perfectly, I will tell you I would not change the site again,” he said.

Trump reflects on security risks but downplays protective gear

The incident has once again put a spotlight on the risks surrounding presidential appearances and large public events.

When asked whether he would consider wearing a bulletproof vest, Trump appeared hesitant, even making a light remark about it.



“I don’t know if I can handle looking 20 pounds heavier,” he said.

He added, “I guess it’s something you consider. In one way, you don’t like to do it because you’re giving in to a bad element.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, Kyle Busch died at the age of 41 on May 21 after sudden illness
4 hours ago
Carly Kimmel was accused of complaining about Spencer Pratt-themed baked goods sold at Vicente Foods, a 78-year-old grocery store in Brentwood
8 hours ago
Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil dismissed Michael Wolff’s case after criticizing both sides over legal tactics in court disputes
9 hours ago
In another post, Trump unloaded on Stephen Colbert, calling him a 'total jerk' with 'no talent, no ratings, no life'
11 hours ago
Among those in the most serious condition are firefighters and first responders
11 hours ago
911 audio captured a call for an ambulance after Kyle Busch suffered a medical emergency in Concord on Wednesday evening, May 20
18 hours ago
FCC issues notice challenging 2002 exemption, threatens equal time for political candidates
19 hours ago
While Robert De Niro took aim at Donald Trump over the Epstein files, Bruce Springsteen criticized the president for not being able to 'take a joke'
1 day ago
A 17-year-old teen, with his 18-year-old accomplice, allegedly carried out a deadly attack at the Islamic Center on May 18, killing three people before claiming their lives while fleeing the scene
1 day ago
Omar questioned Trump’s priorities after he said Iran tensions could affect plans for his son’s wedding attendance
1 day ago