Trump seeks ‘highest level of success’ with two-year Kennedy Center closure for renovation

Trump said a full shutdown would speed construction and deliver a major overhaul, with final approval resting with the Kennedy Center board
Trump’s Kennedy Center renovation plan followed backlash from artists over leadership changes (Getty Images)
Trump’s Kennedy Center renovation plan followed backlash from artists over leadership changes (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump announced a major change for the Kennedy Center, unveiling plans for a temporary two-year closure to allow for extensive renovations.

In a statement posted on Truth Social, Trump said the shutdown would begin on July 4, 2026, and would allow uninterrupted construction aimed at reshaping the iconic venue. The announcement comes as scrutiny continues over his influence on the institution and ongoing backlash from some artists.



Closure plans for the Kennedy Center and renovations

According to Trump’s post, pausing entertainment operations would speed up renovations and improve the center’s physical condition and overall standing. He tied the July 4 start date to the nation’s 250th anniversary, calling it a fitting moment to begin the transformation.

Trump said halting performances and public events temporarily is the “fastest way” to bring the  Kennedy Center to what he described as the highest level of success, beauty, and grandeur.

Workers install Donald J. Trump above the current signage on the Kennedy Center on Friday, Dec. 19, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Workers installed signage bearing Donald J. Trump’s name at the Kennedy Center in Washington in December 2025 (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

While no specific renovation details were shared, Trump said the project would conclude with a grand reopening that would surpass previous versions of the venue.

He announced the plan days after the premiere of 'Melania,' a documentary about first lady Melania Trump, was screened at the historic center. Trump added that the proposal is subject to approval by the Kennedy Center’s board, which he currently chairs as head of the board of trustees.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 29: U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump attend a screening of the documentary film “Melania” at The Kennedy Center on January 29, 2026 in Washington, DC. “Melania” was directed by Brett Ratner, and Amazon paid $40 million to license the film, which follows the first lady in the twenty days before her return to the White House. (Photo by Samuel Corum/Getty Images)
Donald Trump and Melania Trump attended a screening of the documentary 'Melania' at the Kennedy Center in January 2026 (Samuel Corum/Getty Images)

Artists withdraw as Trump influences venue

Several prominent performing arts figures have withdrawn from scheduled appearances at the Kennedy Center amid leadership changes.

Composer Philip Glass recently announced he would pull his Symphony No. 15, 'Lincoln,' saying the current direction of the center conflicted with the values expressed in the work.

Grammy-winning soprano Renee Fleming has also canceled her scheduled performances at the venue. The move followed earlier developments in which Fleming resigned in 2025 from her role as Artistic Advisor-at-Large amid leadership changes, including the departures of Chair David Rubenstein and President Deborah Rutter.

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 04: In this screengrab, Renee Fleming performs for the 40th Anniversary of “A
Renee Fleming performed during the 40th anniversary of 'A Capitol Fourth' on PBS in July 2020 (Getty Images/Getty Images for Capitol Concerts)

Fleming had held the advisory role for nine years, beginning in 2016. Regarding her canceled May appearances, she cited a “scheduling conflict” as the reason for withdrawing.

She had been slated to perform alongside conductor James Gaffigan and the National Symphony Orchestra. While Fleming will no longer participate, Gaffigan and the NSO remain scheduled to perform on May 29 and May 30, with the Kennedy Center saying a new soloist and updated repertoire will be announced later.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Unlike some of Trump’s splashier renovation efforts, this one is being framed as a practical fix rather than another facelift
2 hours ago
Anthony Constantino said he hopes his pro-Trump song unites listeners worldwide, including in North and South Korea
2 hours ago
Vance’s fashion stunt came during his meeting with Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin for a St. Patrick’s Day breakfast, where Trump stopped mid-sentence to comment on his footwear for the day
3 hours ago
The display was meant as a protest against Mamdani and the growing influence of progressive politics in NYC
3 hours ago
Sgt Rick Morton said authorities see no criminal activity in the Sandy Fire as more than 500 firefighters work to contain the blaze
5 hours ago
San Diego Police Chief hailed Amin Abdullah, saying ‘it’s fair to say his actions were heroic’
5 hours ago
Neighbors of one suspect said they had known the family for nearly two decades and recalled how he often helped with groceries
5 hours ago
Trump said his officials will look ‘very strongly’ at the mosque shooting
6 hours ago
The shooting came after the mother of one of the suspects contacted the police around 9:40 am to report that her son was missing, along with multiple weapons and her vehicle
6 hours ago
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said the initial “runaway juvenile” report quickly escalated into a larger threat assessment after police learned the teen had taken three weapons
7 hours ago