Trump threatens to invoke Insurrection Act if courts continue to ‘hold us up’

Donald Trump told reporters in the Oval Office that the measure would be used only as a last resort to stop violence and restore order in cities
PUBLISHED OCT 7, 2025
President Donald Trump threatened to invoke the Insurrection Act, allowing the deployment of troops within the country (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump threatened to invoke the Insurrection Act, allowing the deployment of troops within the country (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Monday suggested he could invoke the Insurrection Act if federal courts continue to block his administration’s efforts to send National Guard units into cities facing unrest.

The Insurrection Act is a centuries-old law that allows a president to deploy US troops on American soil.



 

“So far it hasn’t been necessary, but we have an Insurrection Act for a reason,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office. “If I had to enact it, I’d do that. If people were being killed, and courts were holding us up, or governors or mayors were holding us up, sure, I’d do that.”

“I want to make sure people aren’t killed. We have to make sure our cities are safe,” he added.

Donald Trump faces legal pushback over National Guard deployment

Trump’s comments came amid growing legal challenges to his deployment orders. On Monday, the State of Illinois and the City of Chicago filed a lawsuit calling the president’s move to federalize National Guard troops “patently unlawful.”

Officials in Oregon have filed a similar challenge after a judge twice blocked the deployment of Guard troops to Portland, where protests have continued outside an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facility.

WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 25: Travelers arrive alongside patrolling National Guard soldiers at Union Station on August 25, 2025 in Washington, DC. The Trump administration has deployed federal officers and the National Guard to the District in order to place the DC Metropolitan Police Department under federal control and assist in crime prevention in the nation's capital. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Travelers arrive alongside patrolling National Guard soldiers at Union Station on August 25, 2025 in Washington, DC. The Trump administration has deployed federal officers and the National Guard to the District in order to place the DC Metropolitan Police Department under federal control and assist in crime prevention in the nation's capital (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Judge orders swift federal response to Illinois suit

A federal judge in Chicago has given the Trump administration two days to respond to Illinois’ lawsuit, but declined to immediately block the deployment.

Judge April Perry set a midnight Wednesday deadline for the administration’s reply and scheduled a Thursday hearing on the case.

The Illinois complaint claims the deployment is politically motivated and unlawful, saying, “These advances in President Trump’s long-declared ‘War on Chicago and Illinois’ are unlawful and dangerous.”

“The American people, regardless of where they reside, should not live under the threat of occupation by the United States military, particularly not simply because their city or state leadership has fallen out of a president’s favor,” the lawsuit adds.

Trump has maintained that the troops are needed to fight violent crime in Chicago and to protect federal immigration agents in the city, which has sanctuary policies limiting cooperation with ICE.

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 05: U.S. President Donald Trump signs executive orders during a press availability in the Oval Office of the White House on September 05, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Trump signed executive orders which included the renaming of the Department of Defense to the Department of War. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
US President Donald Trump signs executive orders during a press availability in the Oval Office of the White House on September 05, 2025 in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Donald Trump says Red-State Governors offered help, Democrats push back

Despite the lawsuits, Trump said several Republican governors have volunteered to assist with troop deployments.

“Every one of them is willing to offer whatever we need,” Trump said. “Every one of the red state governors is ready because they want our agents protected.”

He also claimed to have heard from some Democratic governors who privately support the initiative, though he didn’t name them.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
6 hours ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
8 hours ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
14 hours ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
15 hours ago
Congressional candidate Clay Fuller mentioned that his daughter, Tallulah, had received detention for missing school to attend the rally
15 hours ago
Nevada County authorities confirmed that eight people died, while a ninth person remained missing and was presumed dead
16 hours ago
Performance highlighted fatal Minneapolis shootings by federal agents and used dance to draw attention to the deaths of Good and Pretti
18 hours ago
Sonora authorities said that no formal collaboration request had been received, though they remained open to cooperating through established channels
1 day ago
The Commission of Fine Arts approved the $400 million project in a 6–0 vote, with one recusal, advancing plans for a major East Wing expansion
1 day ago
'There's so much more that needs to be done here. I'm hoping they conduct a full investigation and there's a conviction', Sky Roberts said
1 day ago