'His life was endangered': Vance uses new cellphone video to back ICE agent in Minneapolis shooting

The Trump administration insists that Renee Nicole Good 'willfully' drove toward the ICE officer, leaving him with no choice but to use deadly force
JD Vance took to his X account to share a new cellphone video, insisting it was proof that the ICE agent shot Renee Nicole Good in self-defense (Megan Varner/Getty Images, Screengrab/AlphaNews/X)
JD Vance took to his X account to share a new cellphone video, insisting it was proof that the ICE agent shot Renee Nicole Good in self-defense (Megan Varner/Getty Images, Screengrab/AlphaNews/X)


WASHINGTON, DC: Vice President JD Vance on Friday, January 9, stated that the newly released video of Renee Nicole Good’s fatal encounter with an ICE agent proves the officer’s “life was endangered” before he opened fire.

Vance argued that the footage confirms the agent acted in self-defense against a vehicle being used as a weapon.

Newly released cellphone video captures tense standoff between agents and Goods

The footage, recorded on the cellphone of ICE officer Jonathan Ross, shows Good’s wife, Becca Good, speaking to federal agents outside their SUV while Renee sat in the driver’s seat.

As the confrontation intensified, an officer ordered Renee to exit the vehicle, but the 37-year-old mother of three instead began to drive away as her wife told her to flee. 

The Trump administration contends that Renee "willfully" drove toward the officer, leaving him with no choice but to use deadly force. 

Members of law enforcement work the scene following a suspected shooting by an ICE agent during federal law enforcement operations on January 07, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. According to federal officials, the agent, “fearing for his life” killed a woman during a confrontation in south Minneapolis. (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
Members of law enforcement work the scene following a suspected shooting by an ICE agent during federal law enforcement operations on January 7, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

JD Vance claims new video disproves common media narratives

The vice president took to his social media to challenge the public perception of the shooting in Minneapolis, accusing the press of spreading propaganda.

“Watch this, as hard as it is,” Vance wrote on X. “Many of you have been told this law enforcement officer wasn’t hit by a car, wasn’t being harassed, and murdered an innocent woman. The reality is that his life was endangered and he fired in self defense.”

The vice president insisted, "What the press has done in lying about this innocent law enforcement officer is disgusting. You should all be ashamed of yourselves."

He also noted that the officer involved has a family and had been seriously injured by a vehicle in a similar incident only six months prior. "Does he have every right to safety while he's doing his job? Yes," Vance added in another post.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks as U.S. Vice President JD Vance (L) looks on during a meeting with oil and gas executives in the East Room of the White House on January 9, 2026 in Washington, DC. Trump is holding the meeting to discuss plans for investment in Venezuela after ousting its leader Nicolás Maduro. (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks as Vice President JD Vance looks on during a meeting with oil and gas executives in the East Room of the White House on January 9, 2026, in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Local leaders condemn shooting as federal presence grows

The incident has sparked a fierce debate, with Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and other Minnesota lawmakers decrying the agent's actions as unjustified. 

“If you want to say this woman’s death is a tragedy, that we should pray for her soul as Christians and Americans, then I agree with you,” Vance remarked in another X post, while insisting that the safety of agents must remain a priority. He also slammed the media, writing, "But the media dishonesty about this officer is an all-time moment in shameless press propaganda."



He further expressed his support for the officer by stating, “I want our law enforcement officers to do their jobs and come home safely to their family.”

Vance further urged critics to direct their frustrations toward the executive branch rather than the front-line workers, saying, “If you don’t like the immigration policy of the Trump administration, attack me. Leave our law enforcement alone.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Laura Loomer also claimed Nasire Best made a TikTok post threatening violence against Donald Trump in December 2025
5 hours ago
Amin Abdullah’s sons remembered their father as a hero after he died protecting children during a mosque attack
5 hours ago
'Forever yours, forever mine,' Bettina Anderson captioned a black-and-white photo shared on Instagram Stories
6 hours ago
Karoline Leavitt praised Marco Rubio and JD Vance after the pair stepped in during her maternity leave
7 hours ago
FBI agents must qualify through local rounds before competing in Quantico, where the event will focus on fitness and team-building
7 hours ago
More than 40,000 residents were evacuated after emergency teams were unable to neutralize the chemical tank at an aerospace facility
7 hours ago
Abdul Carter mocked Jaxson Dart’s Donald Trump rally appearance, saying he thought the viral clip was created using AI
10 hours ago
Donald Trump Jr and Bettina Anderson celebrated their union alongside Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump and relatives
10 hours ago
A source said Tiger Woods believes Vanessa Trump will recover and is supporting her despite his recent DUI troubles
11 hours ago
Nasire Best allegedly violated prior stay-away orders before opening fire near the White House checkpoint
11 hours ago