Trump weighs limited strike on Iran as 15-day nuclear deal deadline looms
WASHINGTON, DC: Donald Trump said on Friday, February 20, that he is weighing a limited military strike on Iran, acknowledging the possibility during remarks to reporters at a meeting with governors. When asked whether a targeted strike was under consideration, Trump replied, “I guess I can say I am considering that.”
The exchange concluded shortly afterward as reporters were escorted from the room, leaving few details about the potential scope of action.
The comments come as US military assets continue to reposition in the Middle East and after national security officials briefed the President on readiness options, including the possibility of strikes as early as Saturday. Officials indicated any operational timeline could extend beyond the weekend.
Reporter: “Mr. President, are you considering a limited military strike to pressure Iran into a deal?”
— OSINTdefender (@sentdefender) February 20, 2026
President Trump: “I guess I can say I am considering it.” pic.twitter.com/TeSx3xITJY
National security officials report military readiness
While Trump has not made a final decision, officials familiar with internal discussions say the infrastructure for a rapid response is already in place. The president has reviewed multiple “limited strike” scenarios designed to address specific threats while avoiding broader regional escalation.
At the same time, the administration appears to be maintaining space for diplomatic engagement. The continued deployment of advanced naval and air assets underscores that even a narrowly defined operation would carry significant strategic implications for US interests in the region.
Warning of bad things for Tehran
Trump has coupled military signaling with direct warnings to Iran regarding its nuclear program. Earlier this week, he said Tehran has between 10 and 15 days to reach a definitive agreement, cautioning that failure to do so would lead to consequences.
“They cannot continue to threaten the stability of the entire region and they must make a deal,” Trump said during remarks tied to his Board of Peace initiative. He added that while a deal may not materialize, the outcome would push the United States onto a “very different path.”
Speaking at the inaugural meeting of his Board of Peace, President Donald Trump issued a new warning that "bad things will happen" if Iran refuses to make a deal on its nuclear program.
— The Baltimore Sun (@baltimoresun) February 20, 2026
Trump said the world will find out "over the next, probably, ten days."
Iran's president… pic.twitter.com/TdtWw5Ndu2
Board of peace focuses on security
The President’s remarks came after the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace, a forum primarily focused on regional security issues, including Gaza. Trump used the platform to reiterate his call for Iranian cooperation, presenting diplomacy and deterrence as parallel tracks.
He described Tehran's cooperation as “great” but stressed the administration is prepared for alternative scenarios. This approach ties nuclear negotiations to broader regional stability goals, reflecting a push for a comprehensive framework addressing both nuclear and geopolitical concerns.
Decisions loom beyond the coming weekend
As the informal deadline nears, the White House remains on heightened alert. Trump has not authorized military action, but his acknowledgement of considering strikes underscores a deterrence strategy alongside ongoing diplomatic efforts.
Officials say the coming days will be pivotal in determining whether Iran presents proposals sufficient to change the current trajectory. Meanwhile, the administration continues to balance negotiations with visible military preparedness, signaling that the next move depends largely on Tehran’s response.