Trump says decision on Iran likely in 10 days amid US military pressure: 'Nothing is impossible'
WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Thursday, February 19, suggested that a decision on how the United States will proceed with Iran could be made within the next 10 days, as tensions continue to rise.
“We may have to take it a step further, or we may not. Maybe we’re going to make a deal,” Trump said while speaking in Washington, DC at the inaugural meeting of Board of Peace.
“You’re going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days. This meeting today is proof that with determined leadership, nothing is impossible.”
Reports suggests US may strike Iran soon
Trump once again urged Tehran to reach an agreement, warning of consequences if it refuses.
“Now is the time for Iran to join us on a path that will complete what we’re doing,” he said. “If it doesn’t happen, bad things will happen.”
According to CNN, the US military is prepared to strike Iran as soon as this weekend, though Trump has not yet made a final decision.
The president has privately argued both for and against military action and has consulted advisers and allies on the best course forward, a source familiar with the discussions said.
Trump has repeatedly framed the choice as one between diplomacy and escalation, while making clear that military force remains an option if talks fail.
US aircraft carrier deployment escalates pressure
In a significant show of force, Trump has ordered the deployment of the USS Gerald R Ford, the world’s largest and most advanced aircraft carrier, to the Middle East.
The nuclear-powered carrier departed earlier this week and is moving through the Atlantic toward the Strait of Gibraltar.
The deployment marks the most substantial military buildup of Trump’s presidency and comes as negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program remain stalled.
The Ford is set to join the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group, creating a rare dual-carrier presence in the region.
USS Ford is accompanied by guided-missile destroyers USS Bainbridge, USS Mahan, and USS Winston Churchill, adding to an already sizeable US naval force operating in the Arabian Sea and the Strait of Hormuz.
US pushing expanded air power in the region
The naval buildup is being reinforced by a surge in US air power. More than 50 additional fighter jets have been deployed to the Middle East, according to flight-tracking data and reports.
The aircraft include F-16 Falcons, F-22 Raptors, and F-35 strike fighters.
Capable of carrying more than 75 aircraft, including F-35C stealth fighters, F/A-18F Super Hornets, and EA-18G Growler electronic warfare jets, the USS Gerald R Ford features advanced launch systems and integrated combat technology.