Video shows K9 alert Secret Service before Cole Allen breaches WHCD security, triggers shooting attempt

Surveillance footage shows a security K9 alerting Secret Service as Cole Tomas Allen breached WHCD security perimeter at Washington Hilton opening fire
Surveillance from Washington Hilton highlighted a K9 warning moments before Cole Allen breached the perimeter and opened fire. Allen was later charged with attempted assassination and additional firearms offenses (Screengrab/@USAttyPirro/X)
Surveillance from Washington Hilton highlighted a K9 warning moments before Cole Allen breached the perimeter and opened fire. Allen was later charged with attempted assassination and additional firearms offenses (Screengrab/@USAttyPirro/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: Newly released surveillance footage has placed a trained security K9 at the center of a critical moment just before suspect Cole Tomas Allen attempted to breach security during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner at the Washington Hilton. The footage, submitted as evidence in federal court, captures Allen’s movements inside the venue and the breakdown of the security perimeter that followed.

Authorities say the video provides a clearer timeline of how the situation unfolded at the high-profile event attended by top political leaders, journalists, and celebrities.

Video shows k9 alert before White House correspondents dinner security breach

The most striking portion of the footage shows a security K9 reacting sharply seconds before Allen breached the entry point. While officers were seen managing a metal detector setup, the dog appeared visibly alert to Allen’s behavior near the screening area.

Seconds later, Allen is seen moving quickly through a doorway while armed, breaching the security perimeter and triggering a chaotic response at the event.

Today, officials released additional context alongside the footage. 



Authorities say the footage highlights how quickly the situation escalated, forcing an emergency response and evacuation inside the venue.

Surveillance records confirm suspect surveyed venue days in advance

Investigators also say Allen did not act spontaneously. Surveillance records submitted to court show he spent multiple days at the Washington Hilton ahead of the incident, observing entry points and movement patterns inside the hotel.

US Attorney Jeanine Pirro said the evidence confirms Allen had been monitoring the premises at least a day before the attack, strengthening the argument that the incident was pre-planned.

A neighbor of Cole told The Post he believes the gunman could be on the autism spectrum.
Cole Allen/ Linkedin
Authorities said Cole Tomas Allen had booked a three-night stay at the Washington Hilton from April 24 to April 26 using LinkedIn details linked to his profile (Cole Allen/LinkedIn)

Officials also used the footage to address confusion around the gunfire during the confrontation, with Pirro stating, “There is no evidence the shooting was the result of friendly fire,” while pointing to video documenting Allen’s movements inside the hotel.

Allen charged with attempted assassination as investigation continues

Following the shooting, Allen was quickly subdued and taken into custody by law enforcement officers on site. He now faces multiple federal charges, including attempted assassination of the President and additional firearms-related offenses that could carry a life sentence if convicted.

Authorities have confirmed that Allen has not yet entered a plea, while the Federal Bureau of Investigation continues to examine his movements and communications leading up to the attack.

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 25: (L-R) Karoline Leavitt, White House press secretary, Melania Trump and U.S. President Donald Trump attend The White House Correspondents Dinner at Washington Hilton on April 25, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for OP)
Karoline Leavitt, White House press secretary, joined President Donald Trump and Melania Trump at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner at Washington Hilton on April 25, 2026 in Washington, DC (Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for OP)

Officials noted that the incident occurred roughly 30 minutes after President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump arrived at the event. Gunfire erupted near the main security screening area, prompting an immediate evacuation and a full security lockdown inside the hotel as investigators secured the scene.

RELATED TOPICS WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS’ DINNER

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, Kyle Busch died at the age of 41 on May 21 after sudden illness
4 hours ago
Carly Kimmel was accused of complaining about Spencer Pratt-themed baked goods sold at Vicente Foods, a 78-year-old grocery store in Brentwood
8 hours ago
Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil dismissed Michael Wolff’s case after criticizing both sides over legal tactics in court disputes
9 hours ago
In another post, Trump unloaded on Stephen Colbert, calling him a 'total jerk' with 'no talent, no ratings, no life'
11 hours ago
Among those in the most serious condition are firefighters and first responders
11 hours ago
911 audio captured a call for an ambulance after Kyle Busch suffered a medical emergency in Concord on Wednesday evening, May 20
18 hours ago
FCC issues notice challenging 2002 exemption, threatens equal time for political candidates
19 hours ago
While Robert De Niro took aim at Donald Trump over the Epstein files, Bruce Springsteen criticized the president for not being able to 'take a joke'
1 day ago
A 17-year-old teen, with his 18-year-old accomplice, allegedly carried out a deadly attack at the Islamic Center on May 18, killing three people before claiming their lives while fleeing the scene
1 day ago
Omar questioned Trump’s priorities after he said Iran tensions could affect plans for his son’s wedding attendance
1 day ago