Virginia Giuffre's family criticizes Met Police for ending Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor inquiry

Relatives of the late Virginia Giuffre said they were 'deeply disappointed', noting that detectives had requested evidence just a day earlier
UPDATED DEC 13, 2025
Police rejected claims that Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor used a bodyguard to smear Virginia Giuffre, saying a review found no proof that he asked taxpayer‑funded staff to probe her background (Getty Images)
Police rejected claims that Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor used a bodyguard to smear Virginia Giuffre, saying a review found no proof that he asked taxpayer‑funded staff to probe her background (Getty Images)

LONDON, UK: The family of Virginia Giuffre said they were “deeply disappointed” on Saturday, December 13, after London’s Metropolitan Police announced that it was dropping its investigation into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew.

In a statement, Giuffre’s relatives said that they had been in contact with a Metropolitan Police detective as recently as Friday and were asked whether they had additional evidence to submit, without any indication that authorities were preparing to close the matter.

Giuffre died by suicide in April.

Prince Andrew denies meeting Virginia Giuffre (Instagram/@virginia.giuffre.7)
Prince Andrew denied meeting Virginia Giuffre (Instagram/@virginia.giuffre.7)

Family voices anger after sudden police decision

They also questioned why the police did not wait for the release of further materials connected to the Epstein Transparency Act, recently passed by the US Congress, before reaching a final decision.

“While we have hailed the UK’s overall handling of the case of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor previously, today we feel justice has not been served,” the family said.

Earlier Saturday, the Metropolitan Police stated that it had found no evidence that Mountbatten-Windsor asked a police bodyguard to investigate Giuffre or gather information to undermine her credibility.



The police said it had assessed allegations that in 2011, Andrew requested that a taxpayer-funded bodyguard look into whether Giuffre had a criminal record, claims first reported by The Mail on Sunday.

The newspaper alleged that Andrew had passed along Giuffre’s date of birth and Social Security number in an effort to smear her.

In its statement, the police said its review “has not revealed any additional evidence of criminal acts or misconduct” and therefore did not meet the threshold for opening a criminal investigation.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends the funeral of Katharine, Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England. Katharine, Duchess of Kent was married to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, the first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. She died on September 4 at the age of 92 at Kensington Palace surrounded by her family. Having converted to Catholicism in 1994, her funeral takes place at Westminster Cathedral and is the first Catholic funeral to be held for a member of the royal family in modern British history. Her Royal Highness will be laid to rest at the Royal Burial Ground at Frogmore, Windsor. ( Karwai Tang/WireImage)
Police said its review “has not revealed any additional evidence of criminal acts or misconduct” Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor (Karwai Tang/WireImage)

Police close the case but leave the door open 

Central Specialist Crime Commander Ella Marriott said that police would remain open to reviewing new information but stressed that none had been provided to justify further action.

“To date, we have not received any additional evidence that would support reopening the investigation,” Marriott said.

“In the absence of any further information, we will be taking no further action. Our thoughts will always be with Ms Giuffre’s family and friends following her death,” Marriott added.

In this handout, the mug shot of Jeffrey Epstein, 2019. (Photo by Kypros/Getty Images)
Jeffrey Epstein, 2019 (Kypros/Getty Images)

Allegations that shook the Royal family

Last month, King Charles III formally stripped his younger brother of his remaining royal title after renewed attention to Andrew’s ties to Epstein and the release of Giuffre’s posthumous memoir.

In 2022, Mountbatten-Windsor reached an out-of-court settlement with Giuffre in a civil lawsuit filed in New York. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Shortly after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, King Charles released a statement emphasizing that the royal household would fully cooperate with authorities
1 day ago
Thames Valley Police say the man arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office has been released while inquiries continue
1 day ago
'We may have to take it a step further, or we may not. Maybe we’re going to make a deal,' Trump said
1 day ago
President Donald Trump outlined a multinational framework aimed at rebuilding Gaza, though key details on fund allocation remained unclear
1 day ago
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said, 'We understand the public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time'
1 day ago
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, a charge carrying a potential life sentence under UK law
2 days ago
US military buildup heightens strike fears as nuclear negotiations near breaking point
2 days ago
'I believe Iranians are expected to come back to us with some more details in the next couple of weeks', Karoline Leavitt said
2 days ago
Cardinal Pietro Parolin said the Holy See will not join, stressing that 'at the international level it should above all be the UN that manages these'
2 days ago
Oman mediates Iran-US nuclear talks as Tehran balances compromise with confrontation
3 days ago