‘Why are you so rude?’: Pete Hegseth snaps at reporter during Pentagon briefing on Iran ceasefire

The exchange came as he addressed questions on Iran and defended the US strategy, saying military pressure and threats from Trump played a key role in securing the ceasefire.
Pete Hegseth calls out reporter mid-briefing over interruption, defends Trump’s Iran strategy (Getty Images)
Pete Hegseth calls out reporter mid-briefing over interruption, defends Trump’s Iran strategy (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Pete Hegseth rebuked a reporter during a Pentagon briefing on Wednesday, April 8, after being interrupted mid-question, as he addressed the Iran conflict and the US-brokered ceasefire.

The tense exchange came as Hegseth outlined the administration’s military posture toward Iran and credited pressure tactics for bringing Tehran to the negotiating table. 

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, Wednesday, April 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, Wednesday, April 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

Hegseth snaps at reporter

The incident occurred when Hegseth was calling on a journalist, and another reporter interrupted by shouting a question. "Excuse me, why are you so rude? Just wait. I’m calling on people," Hegseth said, pausing the briefing. "Thank you."

He then added, “So nasty” under his breath before proceeding.

The reporter Hegseth had recognized referenced a recent statement by President Trump regarding potential military action against Iran.



"Yesterday, in the president’s Truth Social, he threatened to wipe out a civilization. That statement elicited a huge response in America," she said. "If Iran did not come to the table and make a deal yesterday by the deadline, was the president really prepared to wipe out Iran entirely?"

Responding to the question, Hegseth described what he called pre-positioned US military options.

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 06: U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth speaks during a news conference in James S. Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House on April 06, 2026 in Washington, DC. President Trump spoke about the successful military mission to rescue a weapons systems officer whose F-15E Strike Eagle was shot down in Iran. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Secretary of War Pete Hegseth speaks during a news conference in James S. Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House on April 06, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

"Like I said, we had a target set locked and loaded of infrastructure, bridges, power plants," he said. "Remember this is a terror regime. The military regime used all of these things for dual use to fund their military, to fund their terror campaigns."

Hegseth added that limited strikes had already been carried out to signal US capabilities. "They knew exactly the scope of what we were capable of," he said. "We hit some military targets on Kharg, which is a bit of a signal. They can’t defend it."

Pressure led to a ceasefire

Hegseth also shared that the threat of broader strikes influenced Iran’s decision to agree to negotiations.

"Iran ultimately understood their ability, their future to produce, to generate power, to fuel their terrorist regime was in our hands. It was in President Trump’s hands," he said. "That’s why they came to the table."



"He ultimately said, ‘We can take it all from you. Your ability to export energy will be taken away, and the United States military has the ability to strike those things with impunity,’" Hegseth mentioned, referencing Trump. "That type of threat is what brought them to the place where they effectively say, ‘Hey, OK, we want to cut this deal.’"

Earlier in the briefing, Hegseth reiterated the administration’s position on Iran’s nuclear program.

"It’s always been non-negotiable that they won’t have nuclear capabilities," he said. "They will either give it to us voluntarily… or if we have to do something else ourselves… we reserve that opportunity."

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump questions Republicans over Senate parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough’s role retention
18 minutes ago
Former Capitol defenders say ‘anti-weaponization’ fund is unconstitutional, Jan 6 risk
32 minutes ago
Iran vows expanded conflict as talks stall over Hormuz, US troop pullout, IRGC warns
51 minutes ago
Administration flags foreign embassy and consulate IDs as potential risks to US banking system
1 hour ago
Patty Murray accused Sean Duffy of self-promotion over addressing Americans’ financial strain, calling his actions 'out of touch'
8 hours ago
The results highlight the continued importance of Trump’s endorsement in shaping GOP primary outcomes
9 hours ago
Taking to X after the race was called, the California Democrat blasted what he described as attacks on Massie and argued the libertarian-minded Republican was punished for taking on powerful interests
10 hours ago
The bipartisan praise highlighted how Massie’s brand of anti-establishment politics has attracted support beyond traditional Republican circles
11 hours ago
Appearing on Hannity, Gallrein recounted a conversation he said changed the course of his campaign
11 hours ago
In a lengthy post on X after the results, Marjorie Taylor Greene hailed Thomas Massie as 'a giant among weak pathetic men'
11 hours ago