'You're a loud person': Trump snaps at ABC reporter over $10 billion IRS lawsuit

Exchange unfolded at an Oval Office event tied to an IndyCar race for America’s 250th anniversary
President Donald Trump slammed ABC reporter Karen Travers after she asked about a $10bn lawsuit on Friday (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump slammed ABC reporter Karen Travers after she asked about a $10bn lawsuit on Friday (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Donald Trump criticized an ABC News correspondent on Friday after being questioned about his newly filed $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department. This incident is part of a recent pattern of hostile interactions he has had with reporters.

The event took place in the Oval Office during a ceremony for signing an executive order related to an IndyCar race planned around the US Capitol for America’s 250th anniversary.

As reporters shouted questions, ABC News White House correspondent Karen Travers attempted to ask Trump about the lawsuit, which had been filed just hours earlier.

Instead of addressing the details of the case, Trump interrupted Travers and dismissed her question, and then turned his attention to another reporter.



'You’re a loud person', Trump tells reporter

During an Oval Office appearance, which also followed the release of additional files related to Jeffrey Epstein, Trump took questions from reporters. Travers pressed him directly.

“Mr President, why are you suing this administration and the IRS? Why are you suing?” she asked.

“Who are you with?” Trump responded. When Travers replied that she worked for ABC News, the president snapped back: “You’re a loud person. Very loud. Let somebody else have a chance.”

As Travers attempted to follow up, Trump refused to engage with her and criticized both her and her outlet.

“ABC fake news,” he said. “Go ahead. I didn’t call on you.. ABC, by the way, is truly one of the worst.”

He then moved on to another reporter, shifting the conversation to a question about Russia and Ukraine without addressing the lawsuit.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 30: U.S. President Donald Trump holds up a signed executive order alongside Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy, Roger Penske, Chair of the Penske Corporation, Bud Denker, President of Penske Corporation, and U.S. Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, in the Oval Office of the White House on January 30, 2026 in Washington, DC. Trump signed an order aimed at bringing an IndyCar race to the District of Columbia this summer as part of the celebration of America’s 250th birthday. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Donald Trump displays a signed executive order alongside Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, Penske Corp Chair Roger Penske, Penske President Bud Denker, and Interior Secretary Doug Burgum in the Oval Office on January 30, 2026. The order aims to bring an IndyCar race to Washington, DC, this summer as part of America’s 250th anniversary celebration (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Trump's recent attacks at press

The exchange is part of ongoing confrontations where Trump has targeted reporters reporting on his administration.

Recently, he has called female journalists insults such as “piggy” and “stupid.” 



The White House has consistently denied claims that the president’s criticisms are sexist. 

After Trump previously told a Bloomberg reporter to be a “quiet piggy,” press secretary Karoline Leavitt defended his conduct.

“Look, the president is very frank and honest with everyone in this room,” Leavitt said. “He gets frustrated with reporters when you lie about him, when you spread fake news about him and his administration.”



Trump's lawsuit against IRS

The lawsuit names the IRS, the Treasury Department, the Trump Organization, and Donald Trump’s two eldest sons.

 It seeks at least $10 billion in damages, arguing that the federal government failed to prevent the leak of Trump’s tax records by an IRS contractor in 2019 and 2020.

The complaint claims that this disclosure caused “reputational and financial harm” and “unfairly tarnished” the business standing of Trump and his family. 



In 2023, former IRS contractor Charles Littlejohn pleaded guilty to leaking Trump’s tax information to the New York Times. He was sentenced to five years in prison for this offense.

The reporting based on those leaked records revealed that Trump paid just $750 in federal income taxes in 2016 and had not paid any federal income tax for most of the preceding 15 years.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Anderson Cooper said balancing CNN and '60 Minutes' was difficult, with most of his weekends and vacations spent reporting stories
1 day ago
Online debate grows as Katie Miller’s podcast draws high-profile guests and scrutiny over ties between media work and Washington power circles
2 days ago
Megyn Kelly criticized Jack Schlossberg’s campaign conduct, questioning his experience and pointing to reported internal disorder
2 days ago
Bill Maher accused Democrats of tolerating anti-Israel rhetoric to avoid upsetting younger, TikTok-influenced voters
2 days ago
Bill Maher said he does not identify as Jewish, while Megyn Kelly has defended Israel but criticized Benjamin Netanyahu’s Gaza campaign
2 days ago
HBO host slammed President Donald Trump’s China visit as heavy on spectacle but light on substance
2 days ago
Bill Maher said that Donald Trump appeared overly eager to praise Xi Jinping rather than maintain a firm negotiating stance
3 days ago
Shift in tone angers Trump supporters, with influencer questioning if China has ‘defeated’ US
3 days ago
Smith defends Davidson as one of few mainstream comics still willing to take risks
3 days ago
Letterman joined Colbert in a CBS rooftop bit that escalated into staged destruction of set pieces during the host’s final week on 'The Late Show'
4 days ago