BBC anchor says majority of board feels ‘institutional bias’ against Trump, warns of growing crisis

BBC anchor Nick Robinson said most board members believed the broadcaster showed institutional bias in its coverage of President Donald Trump
Nick Robinson posted on X, questioning what was happening at the BBC and warning that these were not normal times for the broadcaster (Getty Images, @bbcnickrobinson/X)
Nick Robinson posted on X, questioning what was happening at the BBC and warning that these were not normal times for the broadcaster (Getty Images, @bbcnickrobinson/X)

LONDON, ENGLAND: A senior BBC anchor has expressed alarm over what he described as a growing crisis within the organization, revealing that the majority of the board believes the corporation has an institutional bias against President Donald Trump.

The disclosure comes amid a lawsuit filed by Trump against the outlet for a documentary he calls defamatory.

BBC anchor raises alarm over growing crisis

A longtime BBC anchor said the majority of board members who control the broadcaster feel it has “a problem of institutional bias reflected in the coverage” of Trump.



Offering his thoughts on the growing crisis, anchor Nick Robinson took to X (formerly Twitter).

“What has happened ... what is happening at the BBC? In normal times you might be forgiven for dismissing that question as naval gazing by journalists who can't resist talking about themselves. In normal times, I'd be inclined to agree with you. These, though, are not normal times,” Robinson wrote.

“Those at the top of the BBC have appeared paralysed for the past week, unable to agree what to say not just about the editing of Donald Trump’s speech by 'Panorama' but also wider claims of institutional bias,” he continued.

Internal disagreement over Trump coverage

Robinson said the “BBC is run by a board made up of the leaders of the major divisions of the corporation and part-time directors appointed by the government of the day,” who don’t align with news executives and journalists.

U.S. President Donald Trump talks to the media before boarding Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House on September 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Trump will travel to Arizona to pay tribute to conservative activist Charlie Kirk at a memorial and return to the White House this evening. (Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump talks to the media before boarding Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House on September 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Trump will travel to Arizona to pay tribute to conservative activist Charlie Kirk at a memorial and return to the White House this evening (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

“BBC News executives, the journalists who run the News division, agreed on the wording of a statement at the beginning of last week, admitting that it had been a mistake to edit together two different sections of Donald Trump’s speech on the day of the Capitol Hill riots without clearly signalling to the audience that the edit had been made.”

“It would have concluded that despite this error, there was ‘no intention to mislead’ the audience,” he wrote. “This was not enough for the BBC board, which refused to sign off the statement.”

BBC under fire for Trump documentary 

The BBC has been facing intense scrutiny over a BBC 'Panorama' documentary about Trump’s January 6, 2021, speech delivered before the US Capitol riot.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 06: Protesters gather outside the U.S. Capitol Building on January 06, 2021
Protesters gather outside the US Capitol Building on January 06, 2021 in Washington, DC. Pro-Trump protesters entered the US Capitol building after mass demonstrations in the nation's capital during a joint session Congress to ratify President-elect Joe Biden's 306-232 Electoral College win over President Donald Trump (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

According to critics, the documentary was misleading as it omitted Trump urging supporters to protest peacefully. Following the backlash, BBC director-general Tim Davie and BBC News and Current Affairs chief Deborah Turness both stepped down in recent days amid the growing controversy.

When Turness stepped down, she said the controversy over the Trump documentary "has reached a stage where it is causing damage to the BBC, an institution that I love."

Trump’s legal team sent a notice to the BBC threatening a civil lawsuit, demanding the immediate retraction of what they called "false, defamatory, disparaging, and inflammatory statements" or face a $1 billion suit. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Maher recently tried to show openness and willingness to engage with Trump
2 hours ago
Trey Parker said White House outrage pushed writers to go harder on Trump
12 hours ago
Dan Pfeiffer said Ken Martin became 'the distraction that he was trying to avoid' after the DNC released the botched autopsy on the 2024 election
13 hours ago
Cooper's remarks on editorial independence reportedly blindsided Weiss
15 hours ago
'The president is so upset with the way he's been treated in terms of lawfare that if he can do something, he does it because he can', Kernen said
1 day ago
Trump cheers Stephen Colbert’s CBS exit after Late Show cancellation announcement
1 day ago
Stephen Colbert called ‘The Late Show’ a 'joy machine' and thanked his crew and audience during his emotional farewell speech
1 day ago
Jessica Tarlov accused the report of lacking basic evidence, pointing out the absence of citations and unclear sourcing for key claims
1 day ago
Owens reflected on how social media outrage culture turns personal failures into lifelong public spectacle
1 day ago
Kimmel congratulated Colbert during the emotional send-off but quickly shifted toward a direct attack on CBS leadership
1 day ago