CENTCOM debunks Iran’s claim of shooting down US F-15, highlights 'Epic Fury' air operations

CENTCOM confirmed Iran did not down any US jets and highlighted the scope of American combat flights under 'Operation Epic Fury'
CENTCOM shared a fact-check post on X rejecting Iran’s F-15 shootdown claim (USAF)
CENTCOM shared a fact-check post on X rejecting Iran’s F-15 shootdown claim (USAF)


WASHINGTON, DC: Central Command (CENTCOM) has dismissed reports claiming that a US F-15 jet near Hormuz Island was shot down after allegedly entering Iranian airspace. CENTCOM issued a fact-check confirming no such incident occurred.

As the US‑Iran war, which began with coordinated US and Israeli airstrikes on February 28, 2026, enters its fourth week, CENTCOM has been actively issuing accurate updates, correcting misinformation, and pushing back against false media claims about US military operations, personnel, and equipment.

A United States Marine Corps Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II approaches Marine Corps Air Station Miramar for a landing on January 9, 2026 in San Diego, California. (Photo by Kevin Carter/Getty Images)
A US Marine Corps F-15 approached Marine Corps Air Station Miramar on January 9, 2026 (Kevin Carter/Getty Images)

CENTCOM debunks false report about US F-15 near Iran

CENTCOM quickly corrected reports about a US F-15. On Sunday, March 22, they shared a post addressing the false claims: "FALSE: Rumors claim the Iranian regime recently shot down a US F-15 over Iran."

They clarified the truth: "US forces have flown more than 8,000 combat flights during 'Operation Epic Fury.' No US fighter aircraft have been shot down by Iran." The post also included a large image of the CENTCOM official logo with “FACT CHECK” in caps.

The military has repeatedly denied similar Iranian claims. Previously, Iran said multiple F-15 jets were shot down over Kuwait, but CENTCOM confirmed those were friendly-fire incidents, rejecting any shootdown claims.

This is not the first time CENTCOM has fact-checked reports. They have rejected several claims by Iran about the ongoing conflict, calling them “fake news” and accusing Tehran of spreading misinformation about American losses.



In a statement posted on X (formerly Twitter), CENTCOM addressed false Iranian claims that US forces were withdrawing, that a US destroyer had been sunk, that American fighter jets were shot down, and that 100 US Marines were killed.

“More fake news from the Iranian regime: The regime claims US forces are withdrawing, they say they sank a US destroyer, the IRGC claims to have taken down US fighter aircraft, and the regime says they killed 100 US Marines. ALL LIES,” CENTCOM wrote.

They added that American forces destroyed more than 20 Iranian vessels using overwhelming firepower from air, land, and sea. “US military power projection capability is unmatched. ALL FACTS,” CENTCOM said, again sharing a large “Fact Check” image with the US Central Command logo.

Iranian air defenses engage US F-15 as 'Operation Epic Fury' continues



Amid ongoing strikes under 'Operation Epic Fury', Iran has claimed it shot down a US F-15 fighter jet near the Strait of Hormuz. The claim comes as US-led forces continue heavy airstrikes on Iranian military sites, naval assets, and key infrastructure in the region.

According to Iran’s Army Public Relations Office, the jet was first detected and tracked before being targeted with a surface-to-air missile. Officials said the aircraft had either entered Iranian airspace or was flying close to sensitive areas.

They described the action as a response to “enemy” activity. Authorities also said investigations are ongoing to confirm the outcome and identify any debris. Videos shared by Iran-linked channels claim to show the interception.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
40 minutes ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
2 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
3 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
9 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
9 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
10 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
10 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
11 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
11 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
12 hours ago