CIA Director John Ratcliffe holds talks with interim leader Delcy Rodríguez in Caracas

CIA Director John Ratcliffe's visit to Venezuela marked the first Cabinet-level US trip since Nicolás Maduro's capture, signaling cautious cooperation
CIA Director John Ratcliffe said cooperation with Venezuela hinged on ending safe havens for contraband operators and adversaries (Getty Images)
CIA Director John Ratcliffe said cooperation with Venezuela hinged on ending safe havens for contraband operators and adversaries (Getty Images)

CARACAS, VENEZUELA: CIA Director John Ratcliffe met with Venezuela’s interim President Delcy Rodríguez for two hours on Thursday, January 15, in what marked the first visit by a Cabinet-level US official since the American operation that removed Nicolás Maduro nearly two weeks ago.

A US official said Ratcliffe traveled to Caracas to “deliver the message that the United States looks forward to an improved working relationship”, CBS News reported. The outreach, however, came with a clear warning about Venezuela’s past ties to criminal networks.

Warning Venezuela against harboring illicit traders

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 05: Rep. John Ratcliffe, R-Texas, testifies before a Senate Intelligence Commit
John Ratcliffe became the first Cabinet-level official to visit Caracas since the raid, discussing economic collaboration and warning against illicit operations (Getty Images)

During the closed-door meeting, Ratcliffe stressed that future cooperation depends on a break from illicit activity. A US official said the director warned that Venezuela “can no longer be a safe haven” for black market dealers and other adversaries.

“Director Ratcliffe discussed potential opportunities for economic collaboration and that Venezuela can no longer be a safe haven for America’s adversaries,” the official said.

The trip reflected Ratcliffe’s stated intent to take a more forward posture as CIA director. During his confirmation hearings, he pledged to make the agency “less risk-averse” and said that he would not ask personnel to take risks he would not take himself.

Agency views Delcy Rodriguez as a stability anchor

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 27: Vice President of Venezuela Delcy Rodriguez holds up a document about U.S. sanctions on Venezuela as she addresses the United Nations General Assembly at UN headquarters on September 27, 2019 in New York City. World leaders from across the globe are gathered at the 74th session of the UN General Assembly, amid crises ranging from climate change to possible conflict between Iran and the United States. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
Vice President of Venezuela Delcy Rodriguez holds up a document about US sanctions on Venezuela as she addresses the United Nations General Assembly at UN headquarters on September 27, 2019, in New York City (Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

The Caracas visit coincided with President Donald Trump’s meeting in Washington with opposition leader María Corina Machado.

While Trump publicly praised Machado, administration officials viewed Rodríguez, who served as vice president under Maduro, as better positioned to maintain near-term stability.

That assessment aligned with a CIA analysis concluding that holdover officials from the previous government would be best placed to prevent immediate disruption if Maduro were removed.

Intelligence assets prepared the ground for capture 

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN - JULY 4:  A US military helicopter flies overhead during an Assumption of Comman
US forces spent months preparing for the raid, even building a replica of Nicolas Maduro's compound and dismantling air defenses (Getty Images)

The meeting follows disclosures about the CIA’s role in the January 3 operation. A small agency team had been operating inside Venezuela as early as August, using a human source to track Maduro’s movements.

Planning included constructing a replica of Maduro’s compound and mapping his daily routines.

In the early hours of the operation, US forces disabled elements of Venezuela’s air defense network, clearing a corridor for helicopters to reach the target area.

UN experts condemn US abduction operation

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 5: Nicolas Maduro is seen in handcuffs after landing at a Manhattan helipad, escorted by heavily armed Federal agents as they make their way into an armored car en route to a Federal courthouse in Manhattan on January 5, 2026 in New York City. (Photo by XNY/Star Max/GC Images)
Nicolas Maduro pleaded not guilty in a Manhattan court, while UN experts condemned his abduction as a violation of international law (XNY/Star Max/GC Images)

Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, now face federal charges in New York, including for organized crime and corruption.

At a January 5 court appearance before US District Judge Alvin Hellerstein, Maduro said, “I’m innocent. I’m not guilty - I’m a decent man,” and asserted that he remained Venezuela’s president.

UN experts have criticized the operation, calling it a “grave, manifest and deliberate violation” of international law and warning it could destabilize the region.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
21 hours ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
23 hours ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
1 day ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026