Don Bacon praises Trump for taking ‘feedback’ on reducing ICE operations in Minneapolis
WASHINGTON, DC: Republican Rep Don Bacon publicly commented on President Donald Trump’s recent actions regarding Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) operations in Minneapolis.
Speaking on MS NOW’s 'Chris Jansing Reports,' Bacon offered his perspective on how Trump responded to feedback and adjusted actions on the ground. Bacon also weighed in on broader views within the Republican Party about immigration enforcement and potential future policy debates.
Don Bacon on Trump’s ICE course correction in Minneapolis
On Tuesday, February 17, Bacon praised Trump for listening to the "feedback” and making changes to federal immigration enforcement efforts in Minneapolis. He said that Trump “reduced the presence of ICE in Minneapolis,” indicating that the president responded to pushback and concerns expressed by the public and political observers.
According to Bacon, Trump responded to the feedback by adjusting the leadership of operations by putting White House Border Czar Tom Homan in charge, and subsequently "turned down the volume, turned down the heat’ on the situation.”
Bacon stated that this adjustment amounts to a “course correction,” attributing it to the president and his leadership team’s recognition of the "polling and the pushback.”
Beyond commenting on Trump’s actions regarding ICE, Bacon also addressed the broader debate within the Republican Party about immigration policy and enforcement.
Bacon acknowledged that Americans, including Republicans, are “rightfully divided” on how to handle individuals who entered the United States illegally. He said, "even our own party, isn’t sold to should we, should we heart or should we deport all folks who came here illegally? Or should we focus on those who have a criminal record, like gang members?"
He continued, "There’s many Republicans, and I don’t many Democrats who worry about deporting folks who’ve been here five years, came here illegally, perhaps, but are working, taking care of a family. And I’d like to find maybe a middle path."
Don Bacon comments on ICE warrant requirements
Bacon also remarked that he does not blame the secretary responsible for ICE policies, emphasizing that ultimately “Congress has to debate this and come up with a better policy.”
The host then asked Homan whether the administration scaled back these efforts only to show it was making some effort after the fatal shooting of two American citizens in Minneapolis last month by ICE agents.
She further stated, "Would you be willing to say yes to something like having to have judicial warrants before ICE can enter a home, or any kind of limitations on where they're able to conduct arrests, like in front of hospitals or around schools and churches?"
MSNBC: Would you be willing to say yes to ICE needing to have judicial warrants before they can enter a home?
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) February 17, 2026
GOP REP. DON BACON: I do support warrants. What's in the Constitution has to be done for everybody if you ask me. I'm not a lawyer. pic.twitter.com/2uy9UqOg9R
Homan replied, "I do support warrants. What's in the Constitution should be done for everybody. I do know people get arrested in their homes when they're wanted, if they've committed a crime. And so I'll let the lawyer sort through that."
He continued, "But the Democrats are doing this because they're angry at the ICE and the Border Patrol actions. But my point would be, they're already funded. So they're punishing TSA, Coast Guard, FEMA, Secret Service, folks like that. And I personally don't think that's right."