‘Total baloney’: Don Bacon rejects Trump team’s defense of Pete Hegseth

Don Bacon called Pete Hegseth’s defense 'total baloney', warning that sensitive intel allegedly sent via Signal compromised pilots and missions
PUBLISHED DEC 6, 2025
Rep Don Bacon claimed Pete Hegseth had ‘ruined his credibility’ by blaming the media for his own mistakes (Getty Images)
Rep Don Bacon claimed Pete Hegseth had ‘ruined his credibility’ by blaming the media for his own mistakes (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Republican Representative Don Bacon escalated his feud with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Friday, December 5, declaring that the Pentagon chief had "ruined his credibility."

Bacon, a retiring lawmaker from Nebraska, told Politico that he had lost faith in Hegseth following a series of controversies involving classified information and military decision-making.

"I’ve been on the record already," Bacon said. "After Signalgate, I think I’ve seen enough. What I really wanted to see was someone take responsibility  -  own up to a mistake."

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 6: Rep. Don Bacon (R-NE) arrives for a House Republican conference meeting at the U.S. Capitol on May 6, 2025 in Washington, DC. House Republicans are meeting to discuss their reconciliation budget plan. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Retiring Rep Don Bacon says he has 'seen enough' of Pete Hegseth's leadership (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Don Bacon slams Pete Hegseth’s defense in scandal fallout

The congressman specifically took issue with Hegseth's reaction to the scandals, accusing him of deflecting blame rather than owning up to errors.

"And then when he blamed the media or the, you know, the journalist for the story, it just  -  it ruined his credibility," Bacon added.

Bacon’s comments follow a watchdog report released earlier this week that found Hegseth allegedly violated department policy.

Pete Hegseth, President-elect Donald Trump's nominee for Secretary of Defense and his wife Jennifer Rauchet depart after inauguration ceremonies in the U.S. Capitol on January 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. Donald Trump takes office for his second term as the 47th president of the United States. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Pete Hegseth and his wife Jennifer Rauchet depart after inauguration ceremonies in the US Capitol on January 20, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

The report concluded that the Defense Secretary allegedly endangered troops by using his personal cell phone to send classified information about a pending strike on Houthi targets via the encrypted app Signal.

Bacon dismissed the Trump administration’s claim that the report exonerated Hegseth, calling that defense "total baloney."

Pete Hegseth pauses to talk to reporters after a series of meetings with senators in the Russell Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill on November 21, 2024 in Washington, DC. Hegseth was nominated by President-elect Donald Trump to be the next Secretary of Defense. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
A watchdog report found Hegseth violated policy by sending classified intel on the Signal app (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

"A leader stands up, says, 'I screwed up. I take responsibility. I learned my lesson. I won’t do it again,'" Bacon told CNN on Thursday.

"This troubles me more [than] the actual misdeed, because it really undercuts his credibility as a leader."

Controversy over Caribbean strikes continues

Hegseth is also facing intense scrutiny regarding a second strike on a boat allegedly carrying n******** to the US.

Reports surfaced that survivors were seen clinging to the vessel before a follow-up strike killed them.

Hegseth has pushed back on claims that he ordered military leaders to "kill everybody," claiming that he was not in the room when the specific "double tap" order was given.

STRAIT OF HORMUZ - NOVEMBER 19: In this handout photo provided by the US Navy,  The aircraft carrier
Pete Hegseth has faced questions regarding the rules of engagement used against d*** t******king boats (Getty Images)

While much of the operational blame has been shifted to Navy Admiral Frank Bradley, Bacon remains skeptical of Hegseth's leadership style.

Don Bacon blasts war on media

The Nebraska Republican also lashed out against the Pentagon’s new restrictions on the press, viewing it as another example of Hegseth avoiding accountability.

Bacon criticized the decision to restrict access for major outlets like The New York Times and The Washington Post while allowing "second-rate journalists" to operate out of the Pentagon.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt speaks during a press briefing in the Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House on July 31, 2025 in Washington, DC. Leavitt spoke to reporters about the day's news topics. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Don Bacon criticized the new restrictions barring major media outlets from the Pentagon (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

He also revealed that military bases in congressional districts have been ordered not to speak to lawmakers without prior Pentagon vetting.

"We have military bases in our districts, they’re not allowed to talk to us because of, you know, his orders," Bacon lamented.

Despite the internal GOP criticism, the Defense Department has continued launching strikes on "n****-t********s" in the Caribbean, with the White House maintaining that congressional approval is not required for the campaign.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

James Heidorn calls leaving his 14-year teaching career 'devastating' after community backlash over his personal ICE support
2 hours ago
Hillary Clinton outlined arming Ukraine with missiles, while Petr Macinka urged calm dialogue and rejected labeling opponents 'fascist'
2 hours ago
Sources say Savannah Guthrie may leave 'Today' after her mother’s Tucson abduction, fearing her job may have made her a target
2 hours ago
The former president and first lady cheered courtside with daughter Sasha while enjoying the All-Star Game and sharing family moments
2 hours ago
Australian activist Drew Pavlou says his satirical plan to occupy Billie Eilish’s mansion led to a 30-hour detention at LAX
3 hours ago
Petr Macinka criticized woke culture and gender ideology, while Hillary Clinton defended women’s rights during their tense exchange
4 hours ago
Maher says outrage is emotional, insists his views on Trump haven’t changed and vows to keep mocking progressive activists
5 hours ago
Savannah Guthrie urged Nancy Guthrie’s return, saying it is not too late to act and expressing hope and belief in people’s goodness
6 hours ago
The New York Post alerted the Pima County Sheriff’s Department after finding gloves, as DNA from one may match Nancy Guthrie’s masked kidnapper
6 hours ago
Tucker Carlson says official silence is driving online speculation and warns key details may stay hidden until records are eventually declassified
7 hours ago