Fact Check: Did Benjamin Netanyahu’s call to JD Vance derail US-Iran peace talks?

The claim surfaced after Vance said that the United States and Iran failed to reach an agreement
Reports claim Benjamin Netanyahu's call to JD Vance derailed US-Iran nuclear talks in Islamabad (AP Photo)
Reports claim Benjamin Netanyahu's call to JD Vance derailed US-Iran nuclear talks in Islamabad (AP Photo)

WASHINGTON, DC: Following the failed peace negotiations between the United States and Iran, escalating the geopolitical tensions, a rumor began circulating online claiming that peace talks were derailed after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called Vice President JD Vance, triggering criticisms. Let us analyze and fact-check the claim.

Claim: Benjamin Netanyahu's call to JD Vance sabotaged US-Iran peace talks

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference in Jerusalem, Thursday, March 19, 2026. (Ronen Zvulun, Pool Photo via AP)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference in Jerusalem, Thursday, March 19, 2026 (Ronen Zvulun, Pool Photo via AP)

The collapse of high-stakes talks between the US and Iran in Islamabad has sparked a controversy, with an unverified claim suggesting that Israeli intervention may have influenced the outcome.

According to Iranian state-linked outlet Press TV, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said that a phone call from Benjamin Netanyahu to JD Vance during the negotiations influenced the talks in a way that favoured Israeli interests.

According to the report, Araghchi claimed that the alleged call changed the focus of the negotiations and that the US attempted to achieve at the negotiating table what it could not achieve through military means.

Fact Check: Unconfirmed, claim could not be independently verified 

Iran’s Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi addresses to the United Nations Security Council during a meeting on the situation concerning Iraq at UN headquarters in New York City (Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/Getty Images)
Iran’s Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi addresses the United Nations Security Council during a meeting on the situation concerning Iraq at UN headquarters in New York City (Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/Getty Images)

However, the claim is unverified, as the reports referred to a post on X attributed to Araghchi, but no such post could be found on his official timeline.

Although various news outlets reported on Tehran's allegation about the call between the Israeli leader and the vice president, the claim could not be independently verified.

Neither Vance nor Netanyahu has declined the claim.

JD Vance said US-Iran talks ended without agreement

Vice President JD Vance speaks during a news conference after meeting with representatives from Pakistan and Iran, Sunday, April 12, 2026, in Islamabad, Pakistan. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)
Vice President JD Vance speaks during a news conference after meeting with representatives from Pakistan and Iran, Sunday, April 12, 2026, in Islamabad, Pakistan. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)

The claim surfaced after Vance addressed the press, saying the United States and Iran failed to reach an agreement following hours of high-stakes negotiations in Pakistan, and warning that the outcome was 'much more' damaging to Tehran than to Washington.

Vance confirmed that talks had concluded without a breakthrough, even as President Donald Trump maintained that the US had already secured victory regardless of the outcome.

Vance said Iran declined to accept US terms after nearly a full day of closed-door discussions.

"The bad news is that we have not reached an agreement," Vance said. "And I think that's bad news for Iran, much more than it's bad news for the United States of America."

He added that Washington had clearly outlined its expectations during the negotiations.

"So we go back to the United States, having not come to an agreement, we've made very clear what our red lines are, what things we're willing to accommodate them on, and what things we're not willing to accommodate them on," Vance stressed.

"And we've made that as clear as we possibly could, and they have chosen not to accept our terms."

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'By the time I'm sworn in on January 20, 2029, all these worries will be in the past,' Trump allegedly said
48 minutes ago
According to MS NOW, several White House officials raised concerns about Harp’s lack of clearance
18 hours ago
Several reports claimed that the couple had already gone their separate ways long before
19 hours ago
The ongoing conflict between Iran, the US and Israel began on February 28 with strikes that killed Ali Khamenei and several senior Iranian officials
20 hours ago
Gary Sinise is known for his honor and support of the nation’s veterans and their families
20 hours ago
Some posts joked that Natalie Harp was on the “hot seat” or facing pushback from Melania Trump
21 hours ago
The claim surfaced after Trump said that he plans to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un
22 hours ago
The letters have since drawn further attention to their relationship and Harp’s close role in Trump’s inner circle
23 hours ago
The post further claims that they have 30 days to submit a repayment plan to the 14th District Court
23 hours ago
Some online posts claimed that the Trump administration was rounding up thousands of wild horses and selling them to buyers who later sent the animals to slaughterhouses overseas
1 day ago