Iran unable to reopen Strait of Hormuz after losing track of where it placed mines: US officials

Some of the sea mines were reportedly deployed haphazardly or may have drifted, US officials stated, making them difficult to locate and remove
US officials said the main problem is that Iran may not have properly recorded where all its mines were placed (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)
US officials said the main problem is that Iran may not have properly recorded where all its mines were placed (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

WASHINGTON, DC: Iran’s promise to reopen the crucial oil artery of the Strait of Hormuz has hit a snag because it may not actually know where it parked all its mines.

According to US officials speaking to The New York Times, Tehran has yet to fully restore shipping traffic because it “forgot where it allegedly placed some of the mines it laid in the vital waterway.”

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump announced that Washington and Tehran had agreed to a two-week ceasefire in the war that began on February 28. As part of the arrangement, Trump said Iran would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a passage responsible for roughly 20% of the world’s oil supply.

President Donald Trump speaks with reporters during a news conference in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Monday, April 6, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump speaks with reporters during a news conference in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Monday, April 6, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

But the strait remains largely restricted, with Iran insisting the ceasefire also covered Israel’s ongoing invasion of Lebanon.

Shehbaz Sharif, who helped broker the talks, agreed that a halt in Lebanon was part of the understanding. Trump was reportedly told that Lebanon was included in the agreement, but reversed course after a call with Benjamin Netanyahu.

Iran's unaccounted-for sea mines

Behind the diplomatic confusion lies a more terrifying problem of missing explosives.

US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Times that unaccounted-for sea mines are the main reason the strait is still only partially open. Iran isn’t exactly denying the complication.

On Wednesday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the strait would reopen "with due consideration of technical limitations.” American officials interpret that phrase as a polite way of saying Iran can’t quickly locate or remove all the mines it deployed.

ISTANBUL, TURKEY - JANUARY 30: Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi gives a statement at the Ritz Hotel as he meets Turkey's Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan, on January 30, 2026 in Istanbul, Turkey. Protests that began in Tehran on December 28 over worsening economic conditions escalated into one of the deadliest anti-government uprisings in the history of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Iranian authorities say at least 3,117 people were killed, while human rights groups estimate the toll could reach 6,000 or more and warn it may rise once internet blackouts are lifted. U.S. President Donald Trump has sent an armada of U.S. warships toward Iran and warned Tehran that time was running out to negotiate a deal on its nuclear program. This week, The European Union agreed to list Iran's paramilitary Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization. (Photo by Burak Kara/Getty Images)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi gives a statement at the Ritz Hotel as he meets Turkey's Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan, on January 30, 2026, in Istanbul, Turkey (Photo by Burak Kara/Getty Images)

That has slowed Tehran’s ability to comply with US demands to let more ships through. It’s adding friction just as Iranian negotiators prepare to meet a US delegation led by Vice President JD Vance in Pakistan this weekend for fresh peace talks.

Waterway turned minefield

The mess traces back to last month, when Iran used small boats to scatter mines across the strait shortly after the US and Israel launched military operations against it. Combined with threats of drone and missile attacks, it choked maritime traffic to a near standstill and sent global energy prices climbing.

Iran then said ships willing to pay a toll could pass through a designated corridor. But even that route came with warnings, with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard cautioning that vessels could collide with mines. Meanwhile, semiofficial outlets have circulated charts marking “safe” paths.

Still, those paths may not be as safe or as precise as advertised.

“Those routes are limited in large part because Iran mined the strait haphazardly, US officials said,” the Times reported. “It is not clear that Iran recorded where it put every mine. And even when the location was recorded, some mines were placed in a way that allowed them to drift or move, according to the officials." 

Large oil tanker ship smoking sails Strait of Hormuz, Persian Gulf, Iran - stock photo (Getty Images)
A large oil tanker ship sails the Strait of Hormuz, Persian Gulf, Iran (Getty Images)

Clearing them isn’t easy either. Like land mines, naval mines are far simpler to deploy than to remove. The US military has limited mine-clearing capacity, relying largely on specialized littoral combat ships, while Iran itself lacks the tools to quickly clean up even its own handiwork.

The uncertainty over the mines isn’t new. The Times had previously cited anonymous US officials saying Iran had seeded the strait, though Trump himself hedged back in March. “If Iran has put out any mines in the Hormuz Strait, and we have no reports of them doing so, we want them removed, IMMEDIATELY!” the president said at the time.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

While Robert De Niro took aim at Donald Trump over the Epstein files, Bruce Springsteen criticized the president for not being able to 'take a joke'
8 hours ago
A 17-year-old teen, with his 18-year-old accomplice, allegedly carried out a deadly attack at the Islamic Center on May 18, killing three people before claiming their lives while fleeing the scene
9 hours ago
Omar questioned Trump’s priorities after he said Iran tensions could affect plans for his son’s wedding attendance
10 hours ago
Kyle Busch won two NASCAR Cup titles, 234 national series races, and held all-time wins records in the Xfinity and Truck Series
14 hours ago
Prosecutors said Aimee Bock and co-defendant Salim Said falsely claimed to serve 91 million meals while using federal funds for lavish spending
14 hours ago
Authorities had reportedly received multiple prior warnings about both teenagers involved in the shooting that left three people dead
15 hours ago
Karen Whitaker, 79, and Donald Whitaker, 80, were found dead at their Bermuda Dunes home after deputies conducted a welfare check
15 hours ago
Vanessa Trump said the news was unexpected, but emphasized that she is working closely with her doctors on a treatment plan
1 day ago
White House posts dramatic ‘enemies neutralized’ graphic featuring Trump with Maduro, Khamenei and Castro.
1 day ago
Robert De Niro drew applause during a questionnaire segment on Stephen Colbert’s show with a political joke about Trump and Epstein files
1 day ago