Fact Check: Did Iran’s missile sink a US aircraft carrier in the Middle East?

Online rumor has claimed that Iran's forces successfully struck and sank a US aircraft carrier
Social media rumors claim that Iran struck and sunk an American aircraft carrier somewhere in the Middle East (Getty Images)
Social media rumors claim that Iran struck and sunk an American aircraft carrier somewhere in the Middle East (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: As the conflict in the Middle East has intensified following the death of Iran's Supreme Leader in a joint operation by the United States and Israel, a rumor began circulating on social media platforms that Iran struck and sank a US aircraft carrier in the region, sparking speculations. Let us analyse and fact-check the rumors.

Claim: Iran sank America's aircraft carrier

AT SEA- OCTOBER 1: In this handout provided by the U.S. Navy, The From front to back, the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78), Royal Moroccan Navy FREMM multipurpose frigate Mohammed VI (701), and Military Sealift Command fast combat support ship USNS Supply (T-AOE 6), steam in formation while transiting the Strait of Gibraltar, on October 1, 2025. Carrier Strike Group 12 is on a scheduled deployment in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operation to support the warfighting effectiveness, lethality and readiness of U.S. Naval Forces, Europe-Africa, and defend U.S., Allied and partner interest in the region. (Photo by Alyssa Joy/U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
In this handout provided by the US Navy, the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78), Royal Moroccan Navy FREMM multipurpose frigate Mohammed VI (701), and Military Sealift Command fast combat support ship USNS Supply (T-AOE 6), steam in formation while transiting the Strait of Gibraltar, on October 1, 2025 (Alyssa Joy/US Navy via Getty Images)

A widely circulating social media rumor has claimed that Iran's forces successfully struck and sank a US aircraft carrier somewhere in the Middle East, signifying a major loss in American military history. 

The claim spread across social media platforms such as X, Facebook, and Threads, garnering hundreds and thousands of views, with thousands of likes and shares as of this writing.

While many appeared to believe the claim to be true, a few others remained skeptical and questioned the authenticity of the claim.

Fact Check: US Central Command denies the rumor



Reacting to the viral claim, the official handle of the US Central Command took to X, stating, “The Iranian regime's false messaging machine continues to falsely claim that it has sunk a U.S. aircraft carrier."

"The TRUTH: The only carrier that has been hit is the Shahid Bagheri, an Iranian drone carrier. U.S. forces struck the ship within hours of launching Operation Epic Fury."

According to CENTCOM, the claim of an American carrier being sunk appears to be Iranian counter-messaging designed to project strength during a conflict that has not gone well for Tehran so far.

If the claim were true, it would have made headlines, but a search on Google for the claim yielded no results from prominent news media outlets supporting the claim.

Pentagon says US is sending more troops and jets to the Middle East

The Pentagon, heaquarters of the U.S. Department of Defense, is seen from the air on February 8, 2025, in Washington, DC. (Photo by J. David Ake/Getty Images)
The Pentagon, headquarters of the US Department of Defense, is seen from the air on February 8, 2025, in Washington, DC (J David Ake/Getty Images)

The US government on Monday, March 2, conducted its first press conference at the Pentagon. 

General Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, laid out where the US military stands right now, stating that more troops and fighter jets are heading to the Middle East.

"This work is just beginning and will continue," Caine said. He added that once the additional aircraft arrive in the coming days, the US will be roughly where it wants to be in terms of overall combat power, though he declined to put a specific number on the total force size.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

A viral post alleged that George Clooney owed a new surcharge on his Manhattan property after using it as a second home while working in New York
26 minutes ago
The claim emerged on X amid reports of difficult conditions aboard the carrier, deployed at sea for over 250 days without a port call
1 hour ago
The post claimed brass instruments could face 25% tariffs and said the Commerce Department proposal mentioned 'national security' nine times
4 hours ago
The image surfaced online after Senator Jon Ossoff questioned Natalie Harp's close access to Donald Trump during his travels
5 hours ago
As per a viral post, Wladimir Klitschko said Hayden Panettiere 'spoke of feeling targeted by certain rich and powerful people' before her death
22 hours ago
Social media users questioned whether the remains found near Tucson could be connected to the disappearance of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie
1 day ago
'And why is it so important to hide her involvement in January 6? Don’t the people deserve the truth?' John Fetterman allegedly said
1 day ago
A viral X post attributed remarks to Jon Stewart claiming he regretted supporting Zohran Mamdani and rejected the mayor's political ideology
1 day ago
Natalie Harp’s close ties to Trump drew renewed attention as she serves as his executive assistant and plays a prominent role in his inner circle
1 day ago
Trump also claimed that he initially asked South Korea for $10 billion but faced resistance
1 day ago