Homan touts over 4,000 arrests in Minneapolis, signals zero tolerance for 'more bloodshed'

Border czar Tom Homan acknowledged operational 'issues' but said that authorities addressed concerns while maintaining enforcement standards
Border czar Tom Homan emphasized 'zero tolerance' for interference with federal agents while announcing end of months long immigration surge in Minneapolis (Getty Images)
Border czar Tom Homan emphasized 'zero tolerance' for interference with federal agents while announcing end of months long immigration surge in Minneapolis (Getty Images)


MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: White House border czar Tom Homan said on Thursday, February 12, more than 4,000 arrests were made during a months-long immigration enforcement surge in Minneapolis, as he announced that the operation was coming to an end.

Speaking at a news conference, Homan emphasized that federal authorities would continue enforcing immigration laws nationwide.

The crackdown, known as 'Operation Metro Surge', drew protests and heightened tensions between federal agents and demonstrators. Homan said that efforts had been made to “de-escalate” the situation while maintaining strict enforcement standards.

Tom Homan reveals 'zero tolerance' for agent assaults

Homan said that federal authorities had arrested over 4,000 individuals in Minneapolis since the launch of 'Operation Metro Surge', though he did not provide a detailed breakdown of how many were considered specific security threats.

“I don’t have that exact breakdown. I know we’ve made over 4,000 arrests here. That is something the local field office can supply,” Homan said. 

“I can tell you, since I’ve been on the ground, they’ve been targeted enforcement arrests. I believe they were targeted enforcement arrests before I got here,” he added. 

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - FEBRUARY 04: Tom Homan, White House
Tom Homan, White House 'Border Czar' speaks at a press conference at the Bishop Henry Whipple Federal Building on February 4, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (John Moore/Getty Images)

Homan acknowledged that there had been “issues” during the operation but said those concerns were addressed.

“There were some issues here, and we addressed those issues, but I’m not gonna sit here and say anybody did anything wrong and that, you know, they were, you know, unprofessional,” Homan added.

“I’m going to say there are some issues here. We fixed those issues. We’ve had great success with this operation, and we’re leaving Minnesota safer,” he stated.

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - JANUARY 29: Border czar Tom Homan speaks during a news conference about ongoing immigration enforcement operations on January 29, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. President Trump announced Homan would takeover the lead of Immigration and Customs Enforcement operations in Minnesota after federal agents shot and killed a second U.S. citizen during Operation Metro Surge. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Border czar Tom Homan speaks during a news conference about ongoing immigration enforcement operations on January 29, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

While describing efforts to reduce tensions between law enforcement and protesters, Homan reiterated that interference with federal agents would not be tolerated.

More than 200 people have been arrested on suspicion of violating USC § 111, a federal statute prohibiting individuals from “forcibly assaulting, resisting, opposing, impeding, intimidating, or interfering” with federal officers during official duties.

“Forcibly assaulting, resisting, opposing, impeding, intimidating or interfering with a federal law enforcement officer is a crime,” Homan emphasized. “It will not be tolerated, zero tolerance if you cross that line and put hands on an ICE officer.”

Tom Homan warns of 'tragic consequences' and reaffirms mass deportation push

Homan said that such actions had resulted in “tragic consequences,” stating, "This is not the way to express your disagreement or try to reform federal laws."

"Go talk to your members of Congress if you want the laws changed in this country,” he continued. “Enough is enough with this misguided, reckless and shameful behavior. We don’t want to see any more bloodshed. I don’t want to see any more bloodshed.”

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents guard outside Delaney Hall, a migrant detention facility, while anti-ICE activists demonstrate on June 12, 2025 in Newark, New Jersey. Anti-ICE protests have been spreading to cities across America since Ice deportation quotas have increased. (Photo by Stephanie Keith/Getty Images)
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents guard outside Delaney Hall, a migrant detention facility, while anti-ICE activists demonstrate on June 12, 2025, in Newark, New Jersey (Stephanie Keith/Getty Images)

Homan also reaffirmed that broader immigration enforcement efforts would continue beyond Minnesota.

“That’s what American people voted for,” Homan said. “But we’re prioritizing those who are the biggest threat to our community,” he said.

President and CEO of Peabody Energy Jim Grech (L) presents a trophy to President Donald Trump during an event on the use of coal in the East Room of the White House on February 11, 2026 in Washington, DC. The lobby group Washington Coal Club awarded Trump the
President and CEO of Peabody Energy Jim Grech (L) presents a trophy to President Donald Trump during an event on the use of coal in the East Room of the White House on February 11, 2026, in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

“President Trump made a promise of mass deportation, and that’s what this country is going to get,” Homan added.

“Nothing changed, other than we make sure they’re targeted and make sure we know who we’re going for, what their immigration record was, their criminal history,” he concluded.

RELATED TOPICS MINNEAPOLIS ICE SHOOTING FALLOUT

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Kai Trump described the extra time they spent together during the summer as a 'blessing in disguise'
5 hours ago
Natalie Harp’s brother said her loyalty to Donald Trump reflects their mother’s worldview, which she recognized in Trump’s 'America First' agenda
5 hours ago
JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
10 hours ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
12 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
17 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
18 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
19 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
21 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
22 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
23 hours ago